Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is Chrysler trying to screw me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2007, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Is Chrysler trying to screw me?

We bought our 2004 GT PT Cruiser about 6 weeks ago and today we got a letter from Chrysler telling me that since I'm the second owner of the car they will need to charge me $150 to transfer the 7 year 70k mile powertrain warranty over to me. Has any one ever heard of such a thing?
Old 25 Aug 2007, 05:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Is Chrysler trying to screw me?

Yep, and if you read the original warrenty, it's for the original owner only.

Now you must find out the date the car entered service, and how much mileage is on the car, to decide if the $150 is worth it to you, to keep the warrenty.

I bought my 04 GT in May of 05, and it had only 20k miles on it, so I decided the $150 is worth it.

The only time you don't seem to run into this, is when yoiu buy used from a Chrysler/Dodge dealer. It's usually advertised, "Balance of Factory warrenty".

Good Luck!

srg
Old 25 Aug 2007, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

is most cases its worth it
Old 25 Aug 2007, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

It was purchased from a Chrysler dealer and i was told it included the balance of the factory warranty, but when i call the dealership, my salesperson no longer works there, the sales manager is new, so then I was shoved off to my finance person who said she would look into it and get back with me. Not very promising.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't tell what state you are in, but I know both in Michigan and Florida there is a paper on all used cars side window stating what kind of warranty is offered on every car. That paper gives you your guarantee of what is left OR it states NO Warranty.

That piece of paper should have been in the paperwork you received at purchase. Keep on them!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Aug 2007, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

call chrysler direct instead of dealing with the dealership
Old 26 Aug 2007, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
call chrysler direct instead of dealing with the dealership
That was my first call, and the guy pretty much told me that I was SOL! Still waiting to hear from the dealer.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's an update, today we got our call to the dealer returned and they told us to come in with the paperwork and they would take care of the $150 charge. Went to the dealer and sat down with the business office mgr. and her question was "SO HOW DO YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THIS, CHECK OR CREDIT CARD".I reminded her that i was told the dealer would take care of the $150 charge and her reply was "WELL YOU CAN'T BLAME ME FOR TRYING" I think i'll be taking my business to another dealer after this little drama.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought a used 05 and payed the $150 when I bought it. The basic warranty and the powertrain warranty transferred to me (up to 2nd owner can get the whole kit-n-kaboodle for $150). I've had a couple warrantable issues since so $150 is a small price to pay. Don't know your financial situation but it is probably worth it. One thing you'll find out on the forums is a seemingly higher rate of failure on the AT's (if you got an AT?). I believe that would fall under the powertrain warranty if it goes so... You've got a few years left on the powertrain so I think it is worth it.