PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

A/C breackdown on 2006 models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2007, 10:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default A/C breackdown on 2006 models

First of all, large hello of Belgium to all of you.
There is here a growing problem with the models 2006: air-conditionings break down one after the other (already 6 in my knowledge and all on models 2006). Are there the same problems in your country? The breakdowns are repaired under guarantees but the A/C fall down broken down a few week later.a letter was sent at Chrysler-France, but without response until now.

(Babelfish translation)

Tout d'abord, un grand bonjour de Belgique à tous.
Il y a ici un problème croissant avec les modèles 2006:les climatisations tombent en panne les unes après les autres (déjà six dans mes connaissance et tous des modèles 2006).Un tel problème existe-t-il dans votre pays ? Les pannes sont réparées sous garantie, mais retombent en panne après quelques semaines.
Une pétition a été envoyée à Chrysler-France, mais sans réponse à ce jour.

Merci pour vos feedbacks

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Phil Aka striker
Old 31 Aug 2007, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C breackdown on 2006 models

I have a 2006 PT Touring Edition and I have it on all the time. I have had no problems at all, not even a hit of a problem.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum I to have a 2006 and as I live in Florida it is running all of the time with no problems. I have 22,000 miles on the PT so far.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 01 Mar 2010 at 07:14 pm.
Old 02 Sep 2007, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome !! i havnt seen any other posts about it ??
Old 03 Sep 2007, 03:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

My A/C failed at about 56k miles on my '05. Cost me about $1,800. I live in Florida, so the A/C is on all the time.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 08 Sep 2007, 01:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for your answers. It seems that this breakdown affects only the European models then. It acts of a malfonction of a valve in a hose under the dashboard (this is why the tracers were not visible). Chrysler France does not point out the models concerned because it is not a breakdown which blames a safety point, but will be replace under guarantee.
Best regards
Phil aka Striker.
Old 09 Sep 2007, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hi there,i have a 2006 pt,ac on/off most of the time,37,000km in ottawa canada,no problem yet not even a scratch,car running a1 all the time,satisfied with all of it.
good luck
citation18
Old 01 Mar 2010, 06:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: A/C breakdown on 2006 models

Hi everyone - I have a 2006 Base Model with non-functioning A/C - the compressor does not engage - this is the first and last Chrysler product I will ever own......

Last edited by txcruiser; 01 Mar 2010 at 06:44 pm.
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C breakdown on 2006 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcruiser View Post
Hi everyone - I have a 2006 Base Model with non-functioning A/C - the compressor does not engage - this is the first and last Chrysler product I will ever own......

Darn. You pick a 3 year old thread and tell us about a single A/C problem and blame Chrysler for all your problems.

Have you owned your cruiser from day 1 or buy it used? Did you run the A/C during the winter months to keep the seals lubricated? It could be as simple as being low on R134 with nothing else wrong. If that's all it takes to get you to hate a particular brand of automobile, good luck in finding anything that never breaks down.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Angry Re: A/C breackdown on 2006 models

Crewzin', I have never owned a vehicle that had a non-functioning air conditioner (my previous vehicle was a 1991 Buick Somerset with 90K miles on it, and perfectly functioning A/C, that was upgraded to the newer R-134a system, and before that, a 2000 VW New Beetle with 89K miles and never a problem). What incenses me the most is it happened at 59K miles, with no warning whatsoever. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module), and said it would cost $900 to fix - after repeated calls to Chrysler customer service, they did not want to assist me in any way shape or form, and yes the car was purchased used at Chrysler dealership, with 18K miles on it, with the remaining 36K factory warranty in place. Chrysler obviously made an inferior product, with the TIPM module going bad - is this electrical module considered a wear item? How about the cooling fans not functioning properly because of bad brushes? Google problems with PT Cruisers, and see how many websites pop up, with numerous people complaining of non-functioning air conditioners, especially in 2006 models. If you seen my car, you'd see a vehicle that has been babied ever since I bought it. I take great pride in my car, and have spent numerous weekends detailing it to the point that it looks showroom. I do my own tune ups, only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and only buy quality gasoline. People are shocked when they find out I have a hair over 72K miles on it. Just my two cents worth.....thanks for listening...........