Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Runs too hot , fan works .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2007, 02:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Runs too hot , fan works .

my Pt usually runs a bit on the hot side , according to my temperature gauge , the needle is a bit above the middle normally. ... today it was about 95degrees out i had the a/c on while driving to get kids after school . the needle was climbing a bit , i shut down a/c and turned on heater. when i parked , the needle allmost touched the red part and the idiot light came on ,(hot temp lite) .I shut down the car but heard boiling under the hood and started car back up and turned heat on full blast , this cooled it right down . It lost no antifreeze .
When i got home i searched these archieves anf found about all the bad fans and relays and thermostat issues , so i restarted car after cheching oil and turned on a/c again to see if it triggered the fan to turn on . the fan works fine , i did not check it earlier but im sure i heard it at the school ..
this is a non-turbo car , stock .
Old 07 Sep 2007, 02:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Runs too hot , fan works .

By the way , im looking at where i think the thermostat is and it looks to easy , is it just under the plastic housing where the upper hose is on top of the engine or is it agaist the block where that other housing is bolted ?

also , where are my relays and anyone have a diagram to which is which ...Im wishing these cars were simple like my 67 firebird .
Old 07 Sep 2007, 03:26 pm
Young Cruiser

can i switch to a 180 degree thermostat? my car has about 40,000 miles . its a 2002 limited .
Old 08 Sep 2007, 05:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

The stat is under the housing of the upper radiator hose. I run the 180 deg stat (Stant # 13788) and love it! Even when it was 112 degrees here California it ran cooler in stop and go traffic than before.The GT turbo does seem to like running cooler. When stats fail they usually fail "closed", but you can find aftermarket ones that will fail "open".Be careful with the seal as you will have to reuse it, unless you find a brand of stat that has a new seal.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Also, the fan has 2 speeds - might be that only low works - that happens sometimes.
Agree to start with easiest/cheapest first - thermostat.
If not, back to looking at fan (high speed), then perhaps water pump, head gasket...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles