Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electric locks quit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2007, 02:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Electric locks quit?

Ok folks, here's a puzzler for you. Got out of car the other day and hit the lock button in the door (as my usual habit) but the doors didn't lock. The key fob remote now doesn't work either. Also the ability to lock all the doors by turning the key in the door lock twice doesn't work either.

Manually (with the lock stem) they work ok. Ok, it's electrical, so I check the fuses. Replaced one, but the issue still exists. Relay? Which one? Any Ideas?

Thanks! Tom
Old 11 Sep 2007, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Electric locks quit?

I replaced the #10 fuse for Ignition off draw, guess that was another issue I hadn' t noticed. Finally found my manual and found the right 40amp that is for the remote keyless entry, as far as I can see it looks fine. So I guess it's the module...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tom,

Your guess seems pretty good.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 05:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks Carey. From what I can find replacing it's not exactly a DIY project, as the fobs have to be reprogrammed to the module, etc.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 06:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

THAT, I didn't know Tom. If it turns out that you do have to replace it, please let us know your experience in doing so. Others have replaced it but I think we always assumed that's it was just a simple swapping of parts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Electric locks quit?

OK folks....after scouring all of the forums looking for the info I need....here is an update to this problem.

#1....check the hood security plunger (the plunger that is located on the driver side, up close to the window)..make sure this has the depth properly set, just pop it up some, shut the hood and it will push it deep enough to set properly.

#2....If you have diagnosed the RKE module, it is a 143$ item, I could only locate from the DEALER. For year model 2001, the part # is 4671879AD. Once this is replaced, IT MUST BE RE-PROGRAMMED by a little black box that the dealer has...I worked a deal with a tech who saw me purchase the module, he asked me to come back and he would re-program it, he did and you must have ALL of your key-fobs with you.

#3..... for those of you that are willing to do the RKE Module replacement yourself, it is in a tricky place to figure out, but easy if you read this and go out and try it. The photo on this thread shows the general area of it, basically its on a platform, directly under the dashboard, but above the vent outlet...here's whacha do......

*********remove the window pillar covers

*********remove the radio/center dash bevel, carefully detatching the window switch module by sliding the red locking feature and pulling the connector straight out.

********There will be 2 screws located near the left and right of the dash opening after the vents are removed...in the area, you will see the RKE Module hidden slightly under the dash....

********Gently pull the dash toward you, and pay attention to the connectors sliding out of their holders....this will remove the dash board completely and expose the RKE Module...

********2 screws remove the module, then you can disconnect the wiring harness, and re-install the new RKE mod...

The vehicle will run with this un-programmed, but the locks, alarm etc are non-functional at this point.

Re-install everything and test switches and stuff...head to dealer.

This shud take only 15-30 minutes to complete the task.

Now, why did we replace ours? Similar issues as everyone else... It started with the locks opening and closing at random. The alarm wud go off, according to my neighbors, at night, and while at work just sitting in the parking lot...there were no fuses I could find to pull to deactivate the system...It killed my battery within a day after it started malfunctioning, so we had to nurse it along for a week or 2 until I had the time to get to this issue. We manually opened and closed all of the lock plungers everytime we got out of the car, we noticed when the keyfob was used or the auto driving locks engaged, the alarm wud go on and off ... seemed to work for us by bypassing it entirely....

I hope this helps anyone else who is searching like mad for good info on this problem with a follow thru!
Old 01 Oct 2007, 07:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the thorough write-up on the problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles