Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello everyone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2007, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hello everyone

Hello everyone, I search through the forums for the right place to introduce myself but didn't find it. So I decided to introduce myself and ask my 1st question in the same thread.

My wife and I bought a few days ago, a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited, with 72xxx miles. We live in Guatemala, and the majority of domestic cars that arrive here come from Auction sites like Copart, etc. Ours was not the exception, I think it was crashed in the right fender and perhaps somewhere else.

Everything with this very nice PT Cruiser is OK. I only noticed one thing that bothered me from the beginning, the engine check light was on. Tonight I decided to do my homework and began to search for info, I did a self test and the code that came up was P1698, as I read somewhere else this code is related to the TCM, since our car was crashed I'm thinking that perhaps the module was destroyed or not correctly connected, I will check this tomorrow, but my question is, while shifting from P to R or D we noticed that the shift is very rough, while driving everything is fine until you begin to go uphill the car almost stall before downshinting and while cruising at about 45-50miles, when you accelerate (the engine's RPM are at about 1500-2000 rpm) the car jerks and hesitates (something similar like when you have a clogged fuel filter or bad spark plug) is this related to the code P1698, perhaps the TCM is not shifting like it should, what shoul i do? Tomorrow morning I will search for this module under the fender, how does it look like? Any help would we greatly appreciated.

I'm very sorry for my english, a little rusty I know.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hello everyone

WELCOME to the forum.

A search on Google turned up a couple of answers for you. Do you have a dealer or trusted mechanic in your area? Here's the two Tech answers I found.....

A p1698 means the PCM is not receiving a bus message from the TCM. The vehicle bus is one wire that runs to each module as there means of communication. This could be a broken wire, bad connection, or possibly a bad module. Unless your pretty sure about what your doing and have some good wiring diagrams you should probably take it to your dealer.

The 1698 code means either that there is no digital data communication from the the transmission controller OR from the body controller that is being received at the power-train control module. An analyzer that read "hex" codes would distinguish which, the former being a 60 the latter a 61 hex code. Without a sophisticated diagnostic box about the only thing an amateur can do is shake the harnesses at those three controllers to see if you can induce an interruption that causes the light to come on in the case where it was a simple electrical wire discontinuity as the cause. With a diagnostic box the actual electrical characteristics of what is going on as shown on the data bus wires can be performed that might reveal which component is failing and why if it is not a wire problem.
Otherwise trying to get a good referral to a tune-up mechanic who is familiar with the Chrysler system and has the test tools is the only alternative that will get the answer with the minimum of costs. It is not something that you want to try solving by throwing parts at it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
First thing would be to disconnect battery for a couple minutes, and see if the check engine light comes back on.
At 72,000+ miles, the poor shifting MIGHT be caused by the transmission fluid, which was probably never changed. You should have the fluid changed - be sure they only use ATF + 4 fluid. The fluid won't cause your check engine light - 2 separate things.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2007, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First thing first, thank you very much for the info. Greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
[B]A p1698 means the PCM is not receiving a bus message from the TCM. The vehicle bus is one wire that runs to each module as there means of communication. This could be a broken wire, bad connection, or possibly a bad module. Unless your pretty sure about what your doing and have some good wiring diagrams you should probably take it to your dealer.
We were checking everything out and found, on the right side of the engine a wire, that was wrapped in hard plastic, this wire was disconnected and rubbing against the hydraulic pump pulley, I think this wire is the one we are talking about, at the tip it has a rubbet L shapped form and no connector, just a screw that goes in there, I will try to take pics today.

Quote:
[B]Otherwise trying to get a good referral to a tune-up mechanic who is familiar with the Chrysler system and has the test tools is the only alternative that will get the answer with the minimum of costs. It is not something that you want to try solving by throwing parts at it.
Good mechanics and especially mechanics that know about A/T are very hard to find here in Guatemala, the dealer is not a very good one, so I will try to figure things out by miself before taking my PT to them. If it is something I don't know how to solve I usually leave for someone with more experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome.
First thing would be to disconnect battery for a couple minutes, and see if the check engine light comes back on.
At 72,000+ miles, the poor shifting MIGHT be caused by the transmission fluid, which was probably never changed. You should have the fluid changed - be sure they only use ATF + 4 fluid. The fluid won't cause your check engine light - 2 separate things.
I disconnected the battery and when I started my PT once again the check engine light was gone, but when started again it appeared again. Tomorrow I will change the fluid, the only thing I have to find out is wich comany uses ATF+4 here, usually they use the cheap stuff to cut costs. Ahhh, and talking about the tranny fluid, what do you thing is better, to drain, change filter and refill? Or to use the machine that is connected to the tranny and flushes everything and replaces "all" the fluid?

Thank you crewzin and quicksilverdon for taking your time in answering my question.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Definitely, if the fluid has never been changed, go for the flush. It's a lot more expensive than just taking off the pan and filter because of the amount of fluid needed and the cost of the ATF+4, but well worth the trouble since the trans in the PT is not the best in the market.

You don't know the service history of your car so assume the trans fluid has never been changed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 02:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can't help with your engine problems, but I just wanted to say welcome to PT Cruisers! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do!
Old 13 Sep 2007, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Definitely, if the fluid has never been changed, go for the flush. It's a lot more expensive than just taking off the pan and filter because of the amount of fluid needed and the cost of the ATF+4, but well worth the trouble since the trans in the PT is not the best in the market.

You don't know the service history of your car so assume the trans fluid has never been changed.
Thanks again for your reply, if you flush the tranny the filter is also changed right? In case that the company doen't change the filter just does the flush, what it better? change the filter prior to the fulsh or after, thank you very much and sorry for all this questions, but as you have noticed I'm new to Chrysler cars, and it the newest car that be have owned.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post
I can't help with your engine problems, but I just wanted to say welcome to PT Cruisers! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do!

Thank you for your welcome, and I have been enyoing this forum since last night, lots of useful info, and very nice pics
Old 13 Sep 2007, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is a long shot to get information on the service of the car is to take the VIN number to a dealer and have them run it to see if anything has been done to it.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Sep 2007, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoola View Post
Thanks again for your reply, if you flush the tranny the filter is also changed right? In case that the company doen't change the filter just does the flush, what it better? change the filter prior to the fulsh or after, thank you very much and sorry for all this questions, but as you have noticed I'm new to Chrysler cars, and it the newest car that be have owned.
Actually, NO. You don't get the filter changed when you have the flush done.

They told me, and I saw them do it, that they run a can of cleaner through the system and it cleans the wire mesh of the filter. Then they drain all the fluid and replace it with the ATF. (I had ATF+5 (Synthetic) put in mine).

I wasn't happy with their way of doing it and came back a day later and paid for 4 more quarts of fluid to have the pan dropped and a new filter installed. Again, I watched them do it.