PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
no brakes!!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2007, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default no brakes!!

I have a 2003 GT w/ 80K miles that has been a pretty good car until recently. The issue that currently has me stumped has now happened twice. As I was pulling into our subdivision the brake pedal was suddenly hard as a rock, moving less than 1/2 inch, and the engine was stuck in a very high idle- over 3000 rpm.

The car has now been sitting for several hours. When I restarted it just a few minutes ago the pedal is still very firm, but the idle speed has dropped to the 1200-1500 rpm range. I blipped the throttle trying to bring the idle speed down, but nothing changed.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the issue might be?

Thanks for any help. I have been reading this forum for a couple months now and really enjoy all the information.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: no brakes!!

I can only take a wild guess at your problem.

According to the Haynes Manual: The power brake booster utilizes engine manifold vacuum and atmospheric pressure to provide assistance to the hydraulically operated brakes.

One. Like the power steering, if the pump goes (mine did) your power steering fails and steering is like turning a Mac Truck. If the brake booster goes, your pedal will feel like the old non-power brakes, high pedal requiring lots of leg effort.

Two: If the vacuum line to the brake booster goes, so does your power brake booster and also could lead to a vacuum leak in the intake system (if the vacuum line uses a "T" connector, which would cause the high idle problem.

So, check all around for a disconnected rubber vacuum line especially around the right side and around the brake booster.
Probedude and chigger_ns like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 08:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have an 03 GT, and the same thing happened to me. A line running off of the brake vaccum boost came off. After that I tie wrapped all of the vacuum lines. Remove the air box to turbo hose to get access to all of the lines. I used bright colored tie wraps (yellow & orange) so it would be easy to see them.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

like the other guys said i think its a hose that has come off
Old 16 Sep 2007, 11:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

You should zip tie all vacuum lines and use t bolt clamps on intercooler hoses anyways to prevent boost leaks and keep hoses from popping off under high boost. This should have been done at the factory.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 16 Sep 2007, 03:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. You were exactly right. The power brake booster hose came off the back of the intake manifold. There is a metal elbow that seems to have a tension fit into a boss cast at the back of the manifold. Is a zip tie the only way to keep the hose in place or is there another fix I'm not thinking of?

Race
Old 18 Sep 2007, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceWilson View Post
Is a zip tie the only way to keep the hose in place or is there another fix I'm not thinking of?
Race
Hose screw clamps. Lowes, Home Depot, auto stores all have them. I go for stainless ones.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Dec 2010, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: no brakes!!

Hey Guys, I am new here and I decided to join the forum after reading about this sticky situation on brakes. ....... The same thing happened to me today; I just gone done putting some anti-freeze in my 01 PT Cruiser and wham! I took off only to find my brakes would hardly move! I had to use two feet on my break pedal just to get the car to stop. My RPM's were running funny and I thought "crap, I just fixed my headlights and belts - now this???!!!!". So sure enough, sad that my little car was toubled, I turned to the net and googled "hard breaks pt cruiser" and found you guys. So I looked around the intake manifold and saw the hose was off, i put it on and started her up just fine

So, thanks guys, you saved me today. I have mechanic friends, but nothing feels better than getting it done yourself for free.
charlesb and Ghosttowncs like this.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum MissApril, glad to hear you are a DIY'er. Hopefully you'll find a home here.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Dec 2010, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I watched as you logged into the forum and saw that you were cruising through the "no brakes" thread wondering what kind of problem you were having. Glad yo read through the answers and found an answer. Is IS good to know that you fixed something that could have cost loads at the dealer. Don't forget us if something else pops up or join in the other threads that aren't about fixing something. Lots of nice people here.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.