Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise Control Kit Install ... UGH!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2007, 11:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Cruise Control Kit Install ... UGH!!!

Well, I purchased the Speed Control Kit from Mopar a few weeks back and this weekend proved to be a great, cool time to install my new kit. When I ordered the "kit" I expected it to come as a plug-n-play type deal and assumed (you know what they say about ass-u-me) all the factory wiring was already pretty much in place .... WRONG. When I got my box it seemed to rattle a little more than I had expected, and when I opened it up I realized why. I had a parts list that used up most of the alphabet!

Anyway to make a long story short, everything went fairly smoothly except for the fact there was no illustration at all, only pictures. Most of the time this was OK but others you had to sit, stare, think, stare, sit, think some more, etc... My biggest problem came when I came to step 14
Here it shows after removing the plug from behind the steering wheel to insert 2 wires from the supplied wiring harness D. Seems simple enough, until I compare the photo/instructions to the plug in my car. The photo shows 3 wires already there and me inserting 2 more in the 5 & 6 holes. Only problem is the plug in my car already has 5 wires in the plug, this only leaves 1 open hole for my 2 wires on my supplied wiring harness.

So, I have an idea to just unplug the wire in the 5th hole and insert my 2 as the instructions indicate for me to do. I hoped this was the plan that the genius who decided to make a coloring book instead of instructions wanted me to do. Turns out though, it wasn't. That little purple wire I removed turned out to be my horn (might need that).

My question is has anyone here installed one of these kits or know someone who has? My only thought is either they (dealer) sent me a kit for a older model or they (Chrysler) changed this between the 06' and 07' model years. Either way, me trying to save some labor costs is probably going to cost me more in the long run (High blood pressure meds, Jack Daniels, replacing tools I threw and now can't find, etc...)

I'm calling the dealership tomorrow and verify they sent me the correct kit and if there are some addendum's not included with the original coloring book I have. Thanks for the time to vent and any/all help is appreciated!!

PS: I did get my cool new avitar from my instruction booklet though!
Old 17 Sep 2007, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruise Control Kit Install ... UGH!!!

Had the same kind of "color book" diagrams when I installed fog lamps on my '02.

Spent much time pondering the illustrations, imagine how much Chrysler saved when they made them without printing instructions for people who cannot read English!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Sep 2007, 10:19 am
Young Cruiser

Well, I talked to the parts guy today and it seems there are 2 part number possibilities for the 2007 Cruiser and, you guessed it, I got the wrong one for my app. I ordered online from chryslerpartsdirect.com (which is Franklin Sussex Auto Mall in New Jersey) super nice about the whole deal! He's going to overnight the correct kit to me then have UPS pick up the old one when I remove it from my PT (FUN)

When/if you order from there, be sure and put your VIN number on the order. Luckily I did or I would have been SOL! This allows them (sometimes) to verify the part numbers with your Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. Who would have thought there would be a entirely different kit for cars that have intermittent rear wipers!?!?

I feel much better about the whole deal now anyway, I was afraid I would be left holding the bag. I'm not used to hearing "we'll take care of you" that often, I'm usually the one requesting more Vaseline while holding my ankles
Old 17 Sep 2007, 01:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Love it when a plan comes together!!! Glad it seems to be working our for you. I would leave the wiring alone and match it up with the new kit. Maybe you have to remove everything, I'd hate it if you had to redo what was already done

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Dec 2009, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Some cruisers came from the factory 'pre-wired' for cruise control - be sure to check yours first before pulling any wires!! This will save you a ton of time!
You can tell by looking just below where the actuator mounts on the right strut tower. The connector will be tie-banded to the inner fender. If it's there, you are 'plug and play' - no need to mess with the ECM, running wires through the firewall, etc. Saves you a ton of time and effort!

Good luck!
Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2004 base model, it has the wire/plug for the actuator, but my clock spring only has 3 wires not 5 wires, the connector plug from the car wire harness to the clock spring has 5 wires. So do I get a different clock spring or is this where the kits have wire to be inserted into the clock spring which would then plug into the switch, All my parts are from junkyard PT's that came with cruise. will I need to have the computer flashed?
Old 19 Jun 2013, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Do you know if they make a cruise control kit I can install what will allow me to govern the speed of the moms in Chrysler minivans doing 10 under when I decide to drive behind them lmao
Old 19 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds like your car may be partially pre-wired for cruise control, if it has both the under-hood servo connector (wire/plug for the actuator) and an existing wire in cavity 6 of the 7-pin clock spring connector (one of the five wires).
This will save you from having to run wiring through the firewall.
A Mopar cruise control kit comes with a different clock spring. You need it.
They are different part numbers; 04671874AC without Speed Control
04671875AD with Speed Control (after 03/13/03).

From Mopar kit installation instructions: "Remove and discard the existing clock spring. Install supplied kit clock spring").
Cruise control install instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgbu56 View Post
I have a 2004 base model, it has the wire/plug for the actuator, but my clock spring only has 3 wires not 5 wires, the connector plug from the car wire harness to the clock spring has 5 wires. So do I get a different clock spring or is this where the kits have wire to be inserted into the clock spring which would then plug into the switch, All my parts are from junkyard PT's that came with cruise. will I need to have the computer flashed?
Old 02 Jun 2014, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did you get the new cruise control installed? What was the difference in the two kits? I think I have the same problem.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are installing in an 06 and up the instructions are wrong. I installed the kit in my 09 and had the same issue. Mine was prewired everywhere else so I left it the way it was based on research and it worked fine.