PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser Conv. GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2007, 01:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation 2006 PT Cruiser Conv. GT

Everyone,

I am wondering what all you think about trading my newly purchased 2006 PT Conv. on a 2006 Conv. GT?

I have a very good lead on one at a dealership, but I am worried that the price is still not "good enough." The dealership said they'll be loosing money, but they want the car gone. This is a brand-new 2006 Conv. GT too, not a pre-owned.

The problem is that the car is about 9-hours drive from me. So I cannot go see it before the day that I would buy the car. I have financing ready if I do decide to get the car, but is this something I should do? I really want the extra power, with the more "standard" features like the ABS, and TCS, disk brakes, etc. Not to mention the most obvious fact of almost 100 extra HP.

I am no stranger to Turbo's, But I cannot believe that this car could get worse mileage than my 1987 944 turbo. Which on the highway will get over 30mpg. Please keep in mind, that car does have over 250hp to the wheels, but stock turbo, with several other "go-fast" add-ons.

Any words from the wise on this decision? I hate to give out numbers, but I am looking at roughly $10k below MSRP off the dealership floor. Is this "good enough" to bring the car home?

Keep in mind again - this is the color combo I could not find ANYWHERE, when I bought my current 2006 conv. base model 6-months ago.

Thanks in advanced for anyone and everyone’s input on this matter!

Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 19 Sep 2007, 02:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Conv. GT

Sounds like it is what you want and I'd much rather have the GT power over the na PT. I've had both.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Sep 2007, 02:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Sounds like it is what you want and I'd much rather have the GT power over the na PT. I've had both.
It definitely is what I want. I just want to make sure everyone that has the Turbo is happy with it. I've had two N/A PT's so far. The 2001 that had about 75k miles on it when I traded (had 40k when I bought it) it on the 2006Conv. My 'Vert now has 7700 miles.

Turbo vs. NA Pros and cons of both in your opinion? I really would like input from people that started with the NA, and moved to the GT. hardtop / convertible doesn't really matter to me. I just want any feedback anyone might have.

I just don’t like the idea of the payments. This will almost double my monthly car payments. But luckily, mine is well under $200/month right now.

Thanks,
Matt

Past Mopars:
Old 19 Sep 2007, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you considering trading or are you going to sell outright?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Sep 2007, 07:36 am
Regular Cruiser

I am on my second turbo. The first was a light and my current is the GT. I love the turbo. The power is there when you need it and still gets decent mileage. Recently, I had the opportunity to rent a PT with the standard engine during a trip I was on. The power difference was very noticable. I say if you can afford to take the hit on your current model, get what you want. I've been there and done the same thing at one time. I traded a 2003 Acura CL Type S for a 2003 Honda S2000 and had to take the hit. Life is too short short. Be happy.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 08:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Are you considering trading or are you going to sell outright?
Trade right now. I would sell the car too, as I know I would get more money out of it.

The problem I am running into now is - what I can see is, in all honest the 2006 PT GT 'vert is only "worth" $18,000. This means I will have negative equity into the car with my loan. I have a lot of positive equity in my current 2006 'vert. So I think I could be in real trouble if in the unfortunate event I get into an accident with the GT.

Anyone have some comments on the equity part? My current 2006 'Vert was my first NEW car, so that was the first time I had to get a loan, etc. I got a VERY good deal on that car, and so that's why I am sitting so well. My dad doesn't think I should do the deal - because it'll put me so far into negative equity as soon as I sign the papers.

Thanks!
Matt

Past Mopars:
Old 21 Sep 2007, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Conv. GT

I had a Dodge AWD Magnum Hemi before the PT because I thought I would love having a HEMI. I became tunnel visioned on the idea of having a HEMI. I always wanted a HEMI since I first saw the 71 HEMI Cuda conv. (My dream car). I always liked the feel of the wide open throttle whenever I would hit it. So what is the point of this. 99% of my driving is to and from work top speed 45 mph with a bunch of traffic and stop lites. I never got to use the HEMI except to say it I had one.

So the question to you, is your driving norm going to even let you get any advantage of having a Turbo and if it does, does it justify you taking a negative equity position. It only takes a second to total any car. Insurance only covers the fair market value of the car not the loan.

Remember some of the other post on this forum about buying new past model year PT's. These cars are still plentiful. I would recommend buy your car when and only when your finances allow it with out negative equity. That is as bad as to much credit card debt in my view.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would wait it out a little longer so your not so upside down on the deal
Old 22 Sep 2007, 05:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
i would wait it out a little longer so your not so upside down on the deal
Thanks Bob and Chinto - I think I will wait out the deal for a while. I know the dealership wants it gone, and as far as I know - they have had little or no interest in it lately. I had them fax me a CarFax along with the option numbers the car has. So Monday when I am back in the office I will check out all the goodies it has.

Chinto - I love your car choice. The HEMI 'Cuda Convertible is my all-time favorite as well. The one in "Nash Bridges" I fell in love with the first time I saw that show.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens. I am definitely waiting this out, because I cannot afford to be upside down on the deal!

Thanks for all the input!
Matt

Past Mopars:
Old 27 Sep 2007, 01:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Everyone -

I decided to go with the 2006 GT 'Vert I have been talking about. I will be getting it this weekend, as long as my plans here at work go through on time. Hopefully I'll have pictures to post online by Sunday.

I got the one dealership to go with the price I wanted from the very beginning. I will have to get Stage 1 later on, though. I will save that for maybe a Christmas Present to myself or something?

Matt

Past Mopars: