Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Limited Stalled Will Not Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2007, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Limited Stalled Will Not Start

I have a 2001 Limited edition with approx 122k miles. The car stalled on me after I turned a corner at an intersection and started to accelerate. Engine just cut out and now it will not start. Cranks ok but wont start. Ran self tests and got error code P0340. Checked and found out that P0340 is Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit. I read this post P0340 and am not sure what I should do about this. Checked the chrysler site for recall info using my vin and had no recall issues. I need to know where the hell that sensor is located and how I can replace it myself. I realy don't want to have my car towed to a dealer (they ripped me off last time) or to a mechanics shop if I can avoid it.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Limited Stalled Will Not Start

Welcome.
Sorry your first post wasn't happier...
Couldn't find a pic, but found this:
"It is located on the driver side of the valve cover between the end of the engine and the air box. It is "eye" or "football" shaped with a plug on it. You will have to disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body, the plug on that, and a air tube also on that. You can just swing that stuff out of the way. then there are two small bolts, I think size 10 mm might be 8 mm, remove them then unplug. If you go to autozone the part # is below.

WELLS SU3019 $34.99"

Have you replaced your timing belt?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had that code and it turned out to be the wiring harness from the Camshaft Sensor to the computer. it worked itself loose and dropped down to where it was touching the half shaft and burned the wires. Dealer wanted to replace the sensor but found the burnt wires while on the lift. Wires attached, re-wrapped and taped and I was on my way.

That was after I was towed in South Carolina to the dealer who didn't open till next morning (Motel $$) and after the lift on the tow truck broke the front LED light bar, and the dealer broke one of the side LED light bars getting it on the lift.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I already found it. I had to take off the air filter to get at it, but once I did I was able to unplug the sensor and the car almost started. It actually fired for a second (which it hadn't before) but the battery was to low to keep cranking. I'm charging the battery right now and I'll try it again. If it starts then I'll know for sure that was the problem. I'm going to go ahead and replace the sensor anyway just incase. As far as the timming belt goes, no I haven't replaced it and hope I never have to. I have to say I love my car, I haven't had to do any repair since I bought it used in 05. That's a really good thing since there's absolutely no way I could afford to have a mechanic work on it. Anything that needs repair I'm going to have to figure out (with help) how to fix myself. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted, in fact I'll be trying to start it up again here in about 30 min,. I'll let you know what happens.

Mike.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mike,

With 122k, you surely need to find out if the timing belt was replaced. It's overdue for a change and even though it's supposed to be and non-interference engine, things can go terribly wrong if the belt snaps while driving.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I just tried to start it again after letting it charge. No go, not even firing. So how do I find out if the timming belt has been changed. Honestly, that's what I thought had happened at first was that the timming belt went ou due to the way the car died, but after running the self checks and only getting the P0340 error code, I thought maybe I had gotten lucky and that was the problem. How can I check the timming belt to see if it has, or needs to. be replaced?
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a plastic cover over the belt - not sure if you can see in, or have to take cover off. If belt broke, you'll know, but if it jumped teeth,dunno how to tell. Hope others will jump in.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Oct 2007, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. If I have to take the cover off, well that's what I'll have to do. I do need to know where it is though. I hope to hell none of this stuff is under the car. I cann't even fit under it with out jacking it up because it's so low to the ground.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good question. Any stickers on the doors that might give you an idea where it's been serviced? You can't see the belt without pulling things. To see it you have to pull the passenger side inner splash shield (fender) and even then, it will be hard to inspect for cracks or wear.

If you have no way of telling, your going to have to make a decision weather to replace it or not. With the timing belt, we tell everyone to also replace the belt tensioner (new style tensioner came out in 03) and replace the water pump as it's had a hard life and doesn't last forever and it's right in the area where your working. I'm about to have mine done and I'll also have the drive belts replaced at the same time.

Old 02 Oct 2007, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

fuel pump ?? coil ??