Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
airbox foam breather filter, DIY replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2007, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default airbox foam breather filter, DIY replacement

Howdy, from N.C. I thought I'd share some info. A posting on march 29th talked about the breather filter in the air box under the air filter. It was titled K&N air filter install (oil in the foam breather filter and cleaning it). I tried looking it up in the Haynes manual, checking two different chapters. There was nothing about the filter anyware.
So, I took my breather filter out, it was clogged, dry and old. I washed it and it disintegrated. I took the half dissolved filter to two part stores, they said it was a dealer item only.
OK here's the good part. Thinking the air box filter was a lot like the foam air filter in my lawn mower, I went to advance auto and purchased a foam lawnmower replacement filter for 1.80. I used leftover clean motor oil and rubbed it on the outside of the filter housing. Then I rubbed the foam filter against the housing to get a rough measurement. I cut it out with scissors, trimming it to fit snug in the housing. It worked like a charm. I hope this helps.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: airbox foam breather filter, DIY replacement

It isn't a filter (If you notice, it's on the inside of the air filter, so the air there is already filtered) it's to trap oil fumes.
Another method is a "catch can".

here's a thread with pictures:
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

He used a filter on the breather side instead of another catch can. More oil comes off the PCV valve than the breather.
The oil going into the intake isn't good, just gums things up.
The pictures are a turbo engine, but it's the same for a non-turbo.

Here are parts:

"Mini General Purpose filter part # CHMP5138 $10.35
from jackssmallengines.com
Its a Campbell Hausfield part.
AdvanceAuto had the hose fittings and 3/8 gas line hose - $1.18/ft - 4' was plenty

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Oct 2008, 11:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to brightlight07
Default Re: airbox foam breather filter, DIY replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptandme View Post
Howdy, from N.C.
itz about time i found someone from my neck of tha woods lol
im also from nc!!