Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Brake Lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No Brake Lights

my sister owns a pt cruiser and ever since she purchased it she had problems with the brake lights, she brought it to the dealership 3 different times and it was fixed for about a day or two. now that her warranty is up there is nothing she can get them to do. i am constently working on vehicles for a hobby so i am pretty mechanically inclined. just wondering if i could get some pointers on where to start looking. the only reason i decided to ask is because people accross the street from me also own a pt cruiser and while outside killing a lung i saw them pull up and what do you know no brake lights or running lights just like my sisters car.it was obvious that they just discovered it due to the words exchanged by the wife & husband.didn't know if this was a common problem or recall that had a particular fix to it. any information would be helpful.
thanks in advance
Old 18 Oct 2007, 12:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: No Brake Lights

Brake lites:
1- Brake lite switch on the PT is a Cheap, Fragile Plastic Switch that sorta twist-locks into the brake pedal bracket. The manual says if you touch it you should replace it with a new one cause the locking lugs will snap off and never properly lock in again. (If you are really careful about removing it, you might get away with it once or twice.)
So I would check to make sure the brakelight switch is properly seated and locked in.
(Did dealers just sorta push the switch back into place without replacing it?)

No 'Running Lights/Parking Lights/Tail-Lights': Check Fuses, then Multifunction switch (Notorious source of problems)

No Brakelights/No Running Lights: Fuses...

Intermittent Electrical Issues are often very hard to resolve.
(Just ask anyone who has ever had a British car.)
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Brake Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz_t_coyote View Post
Intermittent Electrical Issues are often very hard to resolve.
(Just ask anyone who has ever had a British car.)
Damn Fritz. You didn't have to remind me about my 12 years in England with 2 motorcycles and half a dozen cars with their LUCUS ELECTRICS.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.