Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ok here is what happen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2007, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ok here is what happen

My mom was driving her car the other day and she tells me it just dies on her. She got it on to a side road and called me, not alot of help but alittle. Me and her both tried to start it up again and again and nothing. Tried to jump it off nothing, now it did sound like it was going to start but just would not kick in if you know what I am saying. I tried to jump it off but still nothing. Now at first it was sounding like it was going to crank and now I am getting the clicking sound when we try to start it unless I have cables up to it. Now is it just the battery or something more. Any help would be great.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 05:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ok here is what happen

jgro461,

First Welcome to the forum. I'll be deleting your other post as it's not needed.

Sorry about your mom's PT, but there's a lot of reasons why it could have "died" and won't start. Out of gas? Timing belt broke? Camshaft sensor stopped sending?

I do know that the clicking sound is from the starter saying there's not enough power in the battery to try and turn it over. Jumping it again will give enough power to turn it over but if one of the above things is wrong, more power to the battery won't start it.

Did the engine light come on? If it did, the computer has set a code and you can get a general idea of the problem. Turn the key on-off, on-off, on (last time leaving it in the ON position) and a code should appear in the center dial looking something like "P0170".

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well we can rull out gas,and spark plugs, I read on here that someone had a problem with the key. I am going to try that and see what happens, it seems that is what the problem might be. The car sounds like it wants to crank but just want do it. I was told it my be a fuel problem but not sure how to check that if there is a way.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not easy to check the fuel supply. Pump and filter are inside the gas tank. So, there's no codes that the computer is putting out?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 05:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
jgro461,

First Welcome to the forum. I'll be deleting your other post as it's not needed.

Sorry about your mom's PT, but there's a lot of reasons why it could have "died" and won't start. Out of gas? Timing belt broke? Camshaft sensor stopped sending?

I do know that the clicking sound is from the starter saying there's not enough power in the battery to try and turn it over. Jumping it again will give enough power to turn it over but if one of the above things is wrong, more power to the battery won't start it.

Did the engine light come on? If it did, the computer has set a code and you can get a general idea of the problem. Turn the key on-off, on-off, on (last time leaving it in the ON position) and a code should appear in the center dial looking something like "P0170".
So, by turning the ignition switch on and off twice and then on will give a fault code reading? That is so cool! I hope I never need to use it.

Thanks for the info.

Van
Old 19 Oct 2007, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdbd08pt View Post
So, by turning the ignition switch on and off twice and then on will give a fault code reading? That is so cool! I hope I never need to use it.

Thanks for the info.

Van
Yep, you have to do the on-off maneuvers within 5 seconds for the codes to show up. You can do it now even if there's no codes. It should read "done" if there's no codes stored in the computer.

Old 22 Oct 2007, 11:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Crewzin,

Where does the code display? In the odometer?
Old 22 Oct 2007, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by comPuTer View Post
Crewzin,

Where does the code display? In the odometer?

Yep, right in place of where the odometer numbers are. Just did it now to mine and on the 3rd turn forward it read, "done" which means no codes are stored. Tried it again and only the numbers show up so I guess it only works once, then you can't do it again for a certain amount of time.

Old 23 Oct 2007, 05:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Is the procedure to see the code harmless?

What I mean is, if there is a trouble code it will tell you; if there is none it will read "done",

But it doesn't reset any other settings within the car's electronics, does it.

Wouldn't want to make matters worse if I ever have to do it.

Thanks
Old 23 Oct 2007, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Alvin,

NO, it doesn't hurt a thing. There's another procedure to check to see if all your guages are working. Hold the tripometer button IN while turning the key towards the windshield then let go of the button. This will start the Odometer counting all the numbers (1111111, 2222222 etc.) and then it will say "no faults" and all the dials start moving one at a time starting with the speedometer, gas guage, water temp and tachometer. then everything lights up and a chime will tell you the test is done.