Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got rear-ended...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Got rear-ended...

...by a hit and run driver. (followed too close...idiot!)

Considering I just got my car over 3 weeks ago, it couldn't have happened on a day like this-Halloween!

Question: although I have full coverage and my deductible is $500, doesn't the Basic Warranty cover repairs? The damage is just to the lower bumper area where it holds the license plate.

I'm fine tonight with general achiness and headaches and my car is driveable, but I'm sure to feel really SORE tomorrow.

*groans*
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Got rear-ended...

Crusinbabe;

Sorry to hear of your accident, been there, done that.

Warrenties on the car by Chrysler (or any other manufacturer) do not cover accident damage. I guess the best way to understand is warrenties are for "defects in workmanship or parts". That's why you have to have insurance.

Don't feel too bad, in accidents where you're rear-ended, the idiot is at fault 100%, so you should get your deductible back, as long as he HAS insurance.

Good luck with repairs;
srg
Old 01 Nov 2007, 12:05 am
Regular Cruiser

the problem is that the driver ran off before I could look at the license plate. I dunno how insurances deal with hit and run drivers and there's no way of knowing if this idiot had insurance.

I filed claim with my insurance, I called the police dept and filled out the crash report. tomorrow I'm calling my chiropractor to see if my neck/back is ok or not. And I'll need to take pics from my cellphone before anything is done to my car. Oy.

Last edited by cruisinbabe; 01 Nov 2007 at 12:08 am.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

sorry to hear about that!!
Old 01 Nov 2007, 10:05 am
Cool Cruiser

The deal with the deductible is that if your insurance co. can collect it back from his insurance co. then you'll get it back. Unless you got his info, you're probably out of luck.

srg
Old 01 Nov 2007, 12:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

This must be "Whack the Electric-Blue-Cruisers Week": I just got hit Monday!

As far as your insurance goes, based on my own only previous claim (12 years ago, in Virginia): your insurance will, I expect, cover the repairs. Even though you don't have any info on the car that hit you, you did right filing the police report, and you should be covered under the 'uninsured motorist' clause.

You'll still be out the amount of your deductible, unfortunately; and, if you don't have it included in your policy already, you'll be out the cost of a rental while your poor Cruiser is being repaired. (If you DON'T have the extra rental-car coverage, while its too late for this mess, GET IT ADDED TO YOUR POLICY NOW! It doesn't cost much, around $15. every six months or so, and it's worth it!)

I just got hit on the front right fender by a guy who raced off--- in reverse!--- rather than do the correct exchanging-driver's-info thing. I was lucky enough to get the license plate number, but big surprise: it was a stolen plate. The police officer said that it was very unlikely they'd ever catch the jerk, which, after learning about that stolen plate, I've got to admit is not a surprise.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 02:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post
This must be "Whack the Electric-Blue-Cruisers Week": I just got hit Monday!

As far as your insurance goes, based on my own only previous claim (12 years ago, in Virginia): your insurance will, I expect, cover the repairs. Even though you don't have any info on the car that hit you, you did right filing the police report, and you should be covered under the 'uninsured motorist' clause.

You'll still be out the amount of your deductible, unfortunately; and, if you don't have it included in your policy already, you'll be out the cost of a rental while your poor Cruiser is being repaired. (If you DON'T have the extra rental-car coverage, while its too late for this mess, GET IT ADDED TO YOUR POLICY NOW! It doesn't cost much, around $15. every six months or so, and it's worth it!)

I just got hit on the front right fender by a guy who raced off--- in reverse!--- rather than do the correct exchanging-driver's-info thing. I was lucky enough to get the license plate number, but big surprise: it was a stolen plate. The police officer said that it was very unlikely they'd ever catch the jerk, which, after learning about that stolen plate, I've got to admit is not a surprise.
aw, CRAP! not you too!

ergh...if they were men behind the wheels, I'd say they're just cowards and they don't give a rat's a$$ about what happened to you or your car.

I don't have a rental coverage, but I find that my insurance will give me the hit & run driver's deductible of $300, and I do have a $500 deductable and whatever my chiropractor billed to my insurance I have PIP coverage as well.

Man, I'm sore today
Old 01 Nov 2007, 02:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

If we weren't on opposite coasts, I'd say we should hunt up a body shop that would give us group rates on the repair work!

Please do get that rental car coverage added to your insurance policy, it is definately worth it: that previous accident of mine, twelve years ago, cost me over a thousand dollars out of pocket for the sub-compact I drove while my car was being repaired. Who knows how much more it'll be this time! Back then, I didn't even know rental cars COULD be covered: as soon as I found out, I was in my agent's office adding it to the policy, and it's about to pay off....... although I must admit, I'd really rather not be putting it to the test THIS way!

Other than that, I guess all I can do is hope you have a really great body shop lined up!
Old 05 Nov 2007, 04:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey~ I was networking in my hometown online newpaper forum about the crash and one gal mentioned about going to several businesses and see if they had videos of that car. (Especially that car drove into a strip bar's parking lot, and I'm betting it had cameras out there!) Something that I didn't think of. I'll give that a try.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 08:42 am
Senior Cruiser

That's great! And just think: if/when the police get the jerk, not only will that take care of your deductible being paid by his insurance, but he's also likely to get slapped with a hit-and-run driving charge--- and you can just imagine how happy HIS insurance company will be with him for that! Even if the charge gets dropped, you can console yourself with the thought that his insurance company will do one of two things to him: either jack his rates sky high, or drop him entirely.

By the way, about a body shop: your insurer may recommend a shop they know and have worked with, or you can ask a mechanic you know and trust for a place to go. Generally speaking, insurance companies do NOT require you to take your car to a place they recommend: you are free to choose, but it can't hurt to listen to them if you don't know of any yourself. And they might be able to steer you AWAY from some bad places: after all, they do have more experience dealing with the local body shops than we do!