PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New to Forum~My Toy is a 2005 Touring Convertible but.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New to Forum~My Toy is a 2005 Touring Convertible but.....

I am trying to gain knowledge on how to get better gas mileage. I was focusing in on buying a Sebring Convertible all summer and then, out of nowhere, when I least expected it, this lovely silver pt cruiser convertible jumped in my path and I fell in love, but the amount of gas I go through is making me convulse. Someone told me about this tornado thing, but, it doesnt appear to work for the turbo, or does it? Thank you in advance. I am an old lady going through my convertible mid life and I welcome any advice you are willing to share. Also, does anyone know if regular stores anywhere sell those cute car magnets? I think I may want to turn my new toy into a continuing work of art via car magnets. Dont shoot me
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: New to Forum~My Toy is a 2005 Touring Convertible but.....

Congrarts on the new PT but ya gotta watch out for the "mod bug." There is no cure. As far as gas mileage, what are you getting? My '02 gets 22-24 on each tank and thats half city/half highway driving. From what I've read, the Tornado is a piece of "you know what." Haven't seen magnets anywhere but I'm sure there is one somewhere.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wedwudy View Post
. As far as gas mileage, what are you getting? My '02 gets 22-24 on each tank and thats half city/half highway driving. .
last tank I got 20.1 mpg. I have being paying close attention to acceleration and rpm's which is hard for me. I traded in a spectacular grand am se for the PT and that grand am did not know how to go "slow".

in hopes of not appearing totally stupid, what is "mod bug"?

Thanks for saying Hi by the way!!
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: New to Forum~My Toy is a 2005 Touring Convertible but.....

OK SnoGirl,
Here's how to start. There is a lot of knowledge here and on the PTCruiserWorld site. But, you gotta give us some more info....
-So far, we know that it's a 2005, and turbo......
-How many miles has it got on it?
-What about the service history? New wires? New plugs...when?
-Probably a good investment to take it to a "good dealer", with a good service record (usually a 5-Star dealer), and have it put on the computer to check out all the normal stuff detectible.
-Even something small like new gas & air filters can make a big difference.
-Would have fuel injectors cleaned.
**Hope you are not expecting too much with mileage. Getting around 30 mpg is a dream that few reach. I bought a base model, non-turbo, with manual tranny last year, and stretched it to 28 mpg only once. The other 2006 convertible I just got and drove back from California, is a GT-HO turbo, automatic, with only 8,000 miles on it....and best I got on the way back to Oklahoma was 24.6 mpg!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 06:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Which turbo, the GT or turbo "lite"?
I have an '05 "lite", and just computed my overall mileage.
56,279 miles, 2,246.778 gallons of regular, 25.049 MPG!
At 50,000 miles it was 24.95, so it does creep upward.
My tips:
-Keep tires inflated. With cold weather coming, remember pressure goes down with temp, so check more often.
-Don't floor it, except to pass - this is the hardest to stick to.
-Get to highest gear and stay there. Giving gas, then easing up, usually get auto to upshift.
I also have an intake (K&N FIPK) and exhaust (BTG) - can't say they help, but very clearly they don't hurt!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
in hopes of not appearing totally stupid, what is "mod bug"?
Its an expensive virus that affects all PT owners eventually. May start out with a simple set of fuzzy dice. Then it grows a little stronger and may involve chrome interior parts or outside graphics. If its really serious, it can include new wheels, dual exhaust or a combination of all of the above. Keep the checkbook handy.