Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
After market parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2007, 08:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default After market parts

Hi Gang, I would like some feedback, my03 turbo has 75,000 and I just discovered the lower control arms (bushings) are shot. The dealer wants $1200 to replace which I thought was way too high. I found a web site called coolparts.com and they have them for $74.99 each, but I'm not sure if they come with the balljoints? anyone know about this? Thanks, Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 16 Nov 2007, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: After market parts

Gary,

Why are you trying to replace the balljoints just because the bushings are shot?

Replace the whole set with polyurethane bushings .......

Energy Front Control Arm Bushing Set for 01-Up PT Cruiser (Fits lower control arm only) - PT Cruiser Accessories Store - PTCruiserClubStore.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 08:16 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Crewzin, I was told that the poly bushings sqeek some, plus the bushings are hard to replace, two mechanics said the labor is just as much to replace the bushings so you mine as well replace the entire assembly, I guess the ball joints come with the control arm anyway.....Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 19 Nov 2007, 08:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
I was told that the poly bushings sqeek some,
Not true.
I've installed literally dozens of the poly bushing kits. No problems, no noises.
I would be willing to discuss this with your source for that claim.
At $400 installed for poly bushing on both sides, the cost is nowhere near complete control arm replacement. Have the shops that are quoting this actually done any?
Old 07 Jan 2008, 12:41 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Gary,

Why are you trying to replace the balljoints just because the bushings are shot?

Replace the whole set with polyurethane bushings .......

Energy Front Control Arm Bushing Set for 01-Up PT Cruiser (Fits lower control arm only) - PT Cruiser Accessories Store - PTCruiserClubStore.com
How difficult is it for the shadetree mech to change these? My guess is that it involves releasing tension on some torsion bars. I can see an A frame bushing that looks like it is toast (if I can call it an A frame bushing). This is a 105kilomile 2002PT.

I also would expect to "rebush" the rear given the cracks on the sway bar? bushings.

I expect my struts need replaced but a pro whold have the tools that I don't.
The rear shocks should be a piece-o-cake.

Comments?

Can I change the bushings myself? Ball joints?
Old 07 Jan 2008, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

i dont see why you couldnt do it yourself. taking the control arms off is fairly simple. just make sure you have both wheels off the ground so you dont have tension ont he sway bar. when you get the control arms off, you can take them to a shop and have them press the ball joints and bushings off press in the new ones. that shouldnt cost very much at all. if you have a heavy duty ball joint press with a good assortment of adapters you can press everything on and off yourself.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 12:14 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
i dont see why you couldnt do it yourself. taking the control arms off is fairly simple. just make sure you have both wheels off the ground so you dont have tension ont he sway bar. when you get the control arms off, you can take them to a shop and have them press the ball joints and bushings off press in the new ones. that shouldnt cost very much at all. if you have a heavy duty ball joint press with a good assortment of adapters you can press everything on and off yourself.
I may do the bushings myself and let a trusted pro do the ball joints. I really appreciate your help!

peace
Old 05 Mar 2008, 10:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I bought some and got the control arm off... without disconnecting the knuckle... I won't do the other side that way!

Anyhow my rear pivot looks like it is moulded into an insert/sleeve that is pressed into the control arm. To remove it the way Energy says I would have to destroy the old rubber while saving the bug sleeve that is pressed into the rear control arm pivot. I expect some rubber to stay and can only think I have to buff the rubber off? The replacements look very different from OEM. I have pics.