Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT wont start anymore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2007, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question PT wont start anymore

While driving my PT died on me. After pulling over and trying to restart car would crank over. It cranks fine but just wont start. I checked for a spark and got that. I also still hear the buzz when i turn the ignition to on from the fuel pump. Anyone has any idea what it could be? im leaning towards the fuel pump but wanted to get more input.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT wont start anymore

Wish you guys would put more information down about what year car you have and if it was used before you bought it. The fuel pumps usually last forever unless the driver has let the gas tank run dry a couple times too many. The fuel lubricates and cools the fuel pump which is located at the bottom of the tank. No fuel, pump gets hot and is starved of lubrication ...burns out.

If your the first owner and you know you've never run really low in gas then you can start to look for another problem. If it's used, you don't know how the other owner abused it.

When the PT died, the the engine light come on? If it did, the computer has set a code to generally tell you what's wrong. If the crankshaft or camshaft sensor crapped out, they stop sending information to the computer and your car wouldn't start, but it would turn over. It happened to me.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is an 02, and i did get it used. Thanks for the reply. Is there a way i can check the sensors myself or would i have to take it to a dealership?
Old 17 Nov 2007, 08:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry,

No way that I know of to check them. Usually, when one of them goes bad, the computer sets a code. Your fuel pump could be a good guess as there probably wouldn't be a computer code set for that. The fuel pressure regulator also could have gone bad. That's part of the fuel pump itself inside the gas tank. Someone else new to this forum (Stacigw) just had a problem with her regulator, and she has a new PT. Unless someone else on this forum comes up with something, you might have to have it professionally checked out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles?
The Camshaft belt may have snapped/jumped teeth.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2007, 06:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

This may sound silly but try another key---key chip might be bad
Old 21 Nov 2007, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It got a good 133,000 miles on it.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 08:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

how about something as simple as a dead battery?
Old 25 Nov 2007, 03:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I made a mistake and put diesel gas in my 2005 PT Cruiser I have 19,876 some thing like that but any way I drove for about block before it shut off it start up but it cuts off again it can't get it to run long enough to burn the gas out so what can i do to get it out short on cash and can't afford the dealership right now m all out my mind trying to figure out how to get this gas out my car PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update.....Just wanted to let you know i figured my problem. My timing belt snap and in the process of getting fixed now.
Couple steps u might want to take if you have the same problem as me
1) check for spark. can do this by sticking a screw driver in the spark plug wire and trying to start the car
2) fuel pressure, you should here the fuel pump buzz when you turn the ignition to on. Also the main gas line is located on the passenger side in the back of the engine against the frame. You can open it try ansd start the car to see if you get pressure (spray).
3) check battery
4) check fuses

Hope this can help someone.