PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
YES! Another gas mileage rant!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2007, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default YES! Another gas mileage rant!

Woohoo!

yeah, so I took a cruise on the highway yesterday. Trip was about 300 miles in total. My pt is now sitting on empty.

It is sad that my high powered 06 BMW 3 series doing a 100 mph on the highway and speeding through city streets gets better gas mileage than my pt cruiser cruising at 60mph on the highway.....only.

sad for a 4 cylinder IMO
Old 19 Nov 2007, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: YES! Another gas mileage rant!

how many miles do you have on your car ?? at first when mine & wifes were brand new mileage wasnt great but did get better after the 1,000 to 1,200 mile mark
Old 19 Nov 2007, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
how many miles do you have on your car ?? at first when mine & wifes were brand new mileage wasnt great but did get better after the 1,000 to 1,200 mile mark
I got about 23463. I bought the car with 23150 on it. Its also a non turbo.

I drove for about 300 miles the other day. 275 of it was highway and the other 25 were local roads (very few stops/lights) I spent the entire time getting honked at for doing 60 on the highway and made sure I wasn't going over 2500 rpms.

I know I am kind of ignorant but I figured a 4 cylinder engine would get better mileage.

other than that....its a nice cute car with lots of potential. I like it for being roomy enough without being the size of an SUV

Last edited by Ptcruzer07; 19 Nov 2007 at 03:32 pm.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 04:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcruzer07 View Post
I got about 23463. I bought the car with 23150 on it. Its also a non turbo.

I drove for about 300 miles the other day. 275 of it was highway and the other 25 were local roads (very few stops/lights) I spent the entire time getting honked at for doing 60 on the highway and made sure I wasn't going over 2500 rpms.

I know I am kind of ignorant but I figured a 4 cylinder engine would get better mileage.

other than that....its a nice cute car with lots of potential. I like it for being roomy enough without being the size of an SUV
Research is your friend. It's been known since the PT first came out that mpg sucks. It's a heavy car and cuts through the wind like a brick.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Nov 2007, 12:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi

Mine is a 2007, non turbo with automatic.

Best gas mileage: 22 on the freeway. Worst 16.9 in town; it was summer, and really hot.

Its true. This great car is not aerodynamic but it is fun to drive.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 06:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok, So I went to the gas station because my yellow light came on and the needle was nearly all the way through the red area. I had 320 miles. When I filled up the tank, it only took in 12.48 gallons. Meaning I must have had an extra 2.52 gallons to spare. If I take the lowest mpg (15) and multiply it by 2.52I get an extra 37.8 miles I could have squeezed out. So in all, I guess my average came out to 24ish.

I don't like how our needles drop so fast.

still, my bimmer gets better mileage
Old 20 Nov 2007, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcruzer07 View Post
ok, So I went to the gas station because my yellow light came on and the needle was nearly all the way through the red area.
Do that a couple more times and be prepared to shell out about $300 for a new fuel pump. It sits on the bottom of the fuel tank and depends on the gas to lubricate and cool the pump. That advise is from a Master Mechanic on the forums who's replaced more than one fuel pump because it burned out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Do that a couple more times and be prepared to shell out about $300 for a new fuel pump. It sits on the bottom of the fuel tank and depends on the gas to lubricate and cool the pump. That advise is from a Master Mechanic on the forums who's replaced more than one fuel pump because it burned out.
uh....is this a PT cruiser only thing? I have never run into this problem with any of my other vehicles.

suddenly I am thinking I bought the wrong car.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't really know if it's only the PT Cruiser. Only passing on information from someone who knows about these things. He's extremely knowledgeable about the workings of the PT and has worked with Champion to develop the double platinum plug for the non-turbo; developed the quick 1-2 shift for the 2001 model; developed a system for a more reliable NOS set-up and has worked on countless problems on the cruiser. I'd take his word on the fuel pump without question.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 10:06 pm
Young Cruiser

What are you all complaining about? When i put my 245/18 tires on I can see the needle moving down as I drive. But I only fill up half way at the pump. Unless going out of town. I bought this Z-Max stuff for the engine and fuel system. It claims the fuel MPG should go up like 4mpg over 1000 miles after sticking the fuel additive in. Probably snake oil .
RF power mids and highs
Kicker solo-baric L5's x2