Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why does engine rpms stay up when in N?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2007, 04:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Why does engine rpms stay up when in N?

Like I will be driving and will switch to N but notice that the rpms still stay where they were while the gears were engaged. All of my other cars will experience a drop in RPMs when I switch to N.

Is that normal?
Old 07 Dec 2007, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why does engine rpms stay up when in N?

No, it's not normal and it might have to do with a dirty or faulty IAC (Idle Air Controller) located right behind the throttle body.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 04:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

got my first oil change (since becoming the first owner and about 1000miles later) and it seemed to resolve the problem. I got 330-340miles before the oil change. I am wondering if I would be too optimistic on seeing if I can get more than 360 miles per fill up =)
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok, its happening again. the rpms wont fall when i shift into neutral and also, when in N I can't rev the engine past 3500rpms. it will just drop back down to 3000rpms.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcruzer07 View Post
also, when in N I can't rev the engine past 3500rpms. it will just drop back down to 3000rpms.
now that is your rev limiter. its normal for it not to rev past 3500 when in N or Park.

as for your RPM issue when driving, sounds like Crewzin is right. You might want to schedule a service and get it looked at. should be covered in your warranty.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Why does engine rpms stay up when in N?

Ptcruzer07,
I think the RPM's being above normal idle when you but it in neutral while moving or coasting to a stop is normal for the 4 speed electronic controlled tranny. Both of our Cruisers do this along with the 1997 Plymouth Breeze and 1996 Grand Voyager we had. The RPM's would stay around 1500-1800 until just before you made a complete stop, then they would drop to the normal idle RPM.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 17 Dec 2007, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpscruiser View Post
Ptcruzer07,
I think the RPM's being above normal idle when you but it in neutral while moving or coasting to a stop is normal for the 4 speed electronic controlled tranny. Both of our Cruisers do this along with the 1997 Plymouth Breeze and 1996 Grand Voyager we had. The RPM's would stay around 1500-1800 until just before you made a complete stop, then they would drop to the normal idle RPM.
when I say the rpms won't drop, I don't mean drop down to zero. I mean when I am at 60mph, going down hill and shift into N, the rpms stay around 3000 rpms