Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rustproofing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2007, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rustproofing

Hi. New PT owner here. 2006 PT touring. Owned Chrysler Corp cars since 1983. I'm the 3rd owner and was wondering how I can tell what, if any, rustproofing has been applied? Only the owners manual was in the glove compartment. I live in Central NY and rustproofing is pretty important here. Thanks

Dick
Old 07 Dec 2007, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rustproofing

Welcome to the forum.

I can only quote from my 2001 Warranty Information booklet. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Description of Coverage:
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. Cosmetic or surface corrosion is not covered.

How long does it last:
The warranty starts when your basic Limited warranty begins. The warranty has 2 time and mileage limits.

For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months with no mileage limit.
For an outer-body sheet metal panel - one that someone can see walking around the vehicle - the limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I was wondering more about dealer applied rustproofing or a rustproofing business applied coating. I'm afraid if I take it to Ziebart they'll just say it doesn't have it even if it does. People in the middle and southern states might not be familiar with rustproofing at all.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Rustproofing

Born in PA, raised 'til 12, then West Virginia trough H.S..
Had Ziebart on a 1978 Dodge customized Maxivan, bought in Morgantown, WV.
My impression is that the auto sheet metal is treated in a way these days that resists rust more than days gone by. I would think that with a car with some mileage already on it, that you could expect rustproofing to have trouble bonding to non-virgin metal. And, the extra weight does a real job on fuel mileage too.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 07 Dec 2007 at 11:22 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'd say to get it rustproofed if it will ease your mind. I have a 2004 PT with rust forming around the rear wheel well area on the passengers side. A friend of mine who used to work that this same dealership told me that it looks like the seal at the top of the roofline, the black seal, was letting water in to the backside of what is essentially the quarterpanel, and it's not draining away like it should. I have to take the car in to the dealership where I bought it, as the first place said that it wasn't covered by the warranty. I have since read and re-read the warranty paperwork and one way or another, it is going to be fixed on Chrysler's dime, since I can see the rust coming through the paint on a clearly viewable panel.

I think they treat them to be rust resistant, but nothing it rust "proof" I guess.

I had a 1990 Jeep Wrangler that was only 2 years old and already had a lot of panels starting to rust, but before that I had one of those little Jeep Comanche trucks that had what looked like vaseline smeared all over the underside of it that hardened after a few weeks, and it never had a speck of rust on it, and I lived in a major "rust belt" region, in upper Michigan. So, I guess it might be all in the luck of the draw, as far as how well it will resist rust.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ive seen the dealer applied rust proofing. yep...nothing like paying an extra 350 or so bucks to watcha 7.50 an hour skid spray rattlecan undercoat under your car. good times had by all.

as for the factory sheet metal, all exterior panels are now galvanized. you get undercaoting in the wheelhouses, but its mostly for soundproofing not corrosion protection. take it to a professional undercoater, get it done right. sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Rustproofing

".....professional undercoating......." YES!
What they will/should do is actually drill small holes in the door ends and fender areas, spray inside between the two metal layers, and place small plugs in the wholes.
And even 20 years ago, Ziebart had a thinner oily spray; not a thick sound coating type.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 19 Dec 2007 at 12:25 pm. Reason: extra thought
Old 18 Jan 2008, 04:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wouldn't do any rust proofing from the dealership or anywhere after market for that matter. Sometimes doing it just makes it worse then OEM process. Paint technology has come a long way since the 90's, heck even the early 2000s. If only your car wasn't processed correctly at the plant, then I would worry but usually they control the paint process pretty well.

I wouldn't do it to my car, IMHO.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not for me!!! I worked at a dealership that sprayed a national brand of undercoating on a car, saw the cost price vs. the sell price and decided it wasn't worth it as they bought it in 55 gallon drums for pennies on the dollar.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am not worried so much about rust on the body panels, as I am about rust on the bottom of the car and I suspect the person who started this thread feels the same way. Here in NY state, they spread salt on the roads during the winter which accelerates corrosion. Taxpayers cover the cost of course, so we get to pay to destroy our own cars. I plan on getting Rustop treatment on my PT because it spent most of it's life in Vegas and has little, if any rust on it so far.