Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
5 years from now....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2007, 05:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 5 years from now....

...what will be the state of PT enthusiast and the vendors who cater to them?
I've been wondering about this, and being a lifelong car nut I've seen cars with followings boom,almost die out, then reinvent themselves. Take VW's for instance...cal look, then bajas', restorations, ratrods,now cal look is coming back with some new twist. Same with streetrods...gaudy show pieces,then restolook,next billet,and now ratrods sell for as much as pristine probuilt trailer queens.
Will PT's die for awhile, then be picked up by a new generation? What can be done to them that hasn't been? Are we destined to grow even older(if possible!)as our babies rot in the garage...imitation vinyl woodie kits peel off, 40 ford fenders crack and plastic warps....neon lights drop from the undercarriage like certain body parts of our own.....I'm just curious...maybe smoothed chopped PT's, primered slammed tube chassied v8 monsters....kids tricking PT's out....Personally I'd like to see filler panels for stock tail lights that match fender contours....replacement front sheet metal that is better proportioned, less overhang, styled similar to a 38 chevy or so, but without looking like it's a poor bolt on....even a replacement chassis for a PT body, floor pan cut out, mounted over the chassis, front engine....a do it yourself kit to convert to a pickup cab, back door kit that spilts into a tailgate...

and btw....as I posted somewhere else, I was active here about a year or so ago as coolvanillagt. Now the GT is gone...sniff...the 03 NA plainjane manual is still here along with the wifes Tundra. I learned not to talk politics or religion on car sites too. It is good to be back.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 5 years from now....

Welcome back. I bought my car with the intention of driving it until I trade it in. Yes, I have tricked it out some and it has won awards, but when it dies of old age, it will be time to trade it in on something else as the PT's will be no more .

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:58 am
Young Cruiser

I was just curious if anyone wonders where this collection of enthusiast is going? Imagine used PT's in the under $2500 range on every car lot. Will the kids see a trendy car, the lowriders a bomb, or will our junkyards be full of them like Cavaliers and Sunbirds? The PT, like a VW bug, has a shape that begs for modification, for dreaming. But after the woodie kits and the imitation 40 Ford/59 Caddy parts are out of style.... . Cars like some much else we discard come back around into favor. Did anyone see the Toyota Fest on Car Crazy? Restored 71 Corollas.....who woulda thought. And the price of Pintos/Vegas is rising...for restoration! Maybe I just obsess and have too much time on my hands......
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:51 am
Regular Cruiser

No one has a crystal ball, so you can only speculate as to the future. If you look at the present however, the resale value sucks. My '05 GT with factory navi and Uconnect listed for almost $ 26,000. in '05 when I bought it almost
2 1/2 years ago. Has almost 76k miles and is in excellent condition. Chryler wanted to give me $ 8,200. for it on a trade last week. Nice, huh?

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 08:58 am
Young Cruiser

In the Phoenix area you can take your pic of new 07 and 08 base PT's,new, for less than 12 grand. A couple of dealers have advertised new 07 GT leftovers, loaded for 16,800, and convertible GT's for 19000. The small community I live in(southeastern AZ., recently on national news for a big terrorist plot), the local dealer has new left over special editions still on the lot...the blue pacific coast edition and the latest rootbeer colored one, cant recall the name, plus at least 3 GT convertibles. Being a isolated dealer with no competition, his prices are almost full sticker. Drive 3 hours to Phoenix, save several thousand!
resale is horrid, thanks to the glut of rental PT's on the market. I traded my 05 GT, which was a twin to yours, for the wifes Tundra. We elected to keep the base 03 PT as my car...I would have undoubtably accumulated alot of tickets with the GT, plus by now it would be pushing 80,000 miles. With autostick and the turbo and my right foot, something would have broke.
But my origional post was to see if others wondered about the future modifications,cult or trendy following of the PT. Like I said, too much time on my hands....
Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Only way to know........

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 11 Dec 2007, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: 5 years from now....

5 Years From Now....
I guess we'll get to see who the real PT enthusiasts are!!
Old 11 Dec 2007, 06:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Steel Blue View Post
Only way to know........

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been contemplating a version of this question myself. I haven't really done anything to my '05 Turbo Lite Convertible. I would expect it to be along time, if ever, before this thing becomes collectible, but it does got a lot going for it to make it a somewhat rare car even if it's never worth much. For people who really care, the '05 convertible is a one off model, given the "facelift" that came with the 06 models.

If I decide to keep this one for the long haul, then I'd like to add the stage 1 and upgrade to a leather interior. On the other hand, both the upcoming Dodge Challenger and BMW 1 series convertibles look awful tempting.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 09:08 am
Young Cruiser

What I'd like to see......
Metal filler panels for the tail lights, matching the contour of the fenders. Fill in the holes, smooth it, then a selection of tail lights besides the obligatory tear drops.
A replacement rear hatch, not a skin, that would allow the rear window and tail gate to be separate, and ability to drive with the window open.
A front clip that would replace the origional, with less overhang. Perhaps suggesting a '37 Ford? 46 Chevy? 41 Ford woody? I know there are some kits out there, but all make it look like PT meets old car at 60mph. Just my opinion.
A nifty, relatively easy pickup kit. Fill in the rear doors, Cut off the roof, add the new kit roof clip...
Bracing and roof hardware that would allow for a 4 door touring style. Cut the roof off at the belt line, braces added for flex and a mount for either a folding top or a padded Carson version. Sure convertibles are in every rental fleet, but squint and imagine a chopped top, side curtains...
Tube frame that fits under the PT body. cut out floor pan, drivehshaft tunnel inserts, mounts for a V8, auto, rear wheel drive.
Just some dreams.....