Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheated After a Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2007, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheated After a Repair

I've got a 2007 PT cruiser with about 24k miles on it. A couple weeks ago I hit something on the freeway; I have no idea what it was, but it screwed up my radiator and I had to have it repaired (some minor body work to the front of the vehicle meant I had to turn it in to insurance, too, which isn't thrilling). So I'm without a car for a week, but insurance at least covered the rental, so no harm no foul.

Now, I just got the car back Thursday; Friday driving home, I get off the freeway and smoke's coming out of the hood. I'm about three blocks from that point, so I drove it home and it hasn't been driven since. The "engine overheating" idiot light came on, and when I checked under the hood yesterday I could visually see that there's no coolant in the reservoir.

Two questions. First, this sounds like I should take it to the shop that did the repair; is that right?

Second, how long should this repair take (and I realize that you don't know what needs to be repaired, but if you don't mind humoring me... ).

Thanks!
Old 09 Dec 2007, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheated After a Repair

To me, it sounds as if they didn't bleed the air out or didn't fill it all of the way!
Hopefully by overheating the engine didn't get screwed up.

You need to take it back, call them and see if they want it towed rather than driven back to their shop. If towed, make sure they will pay. I believe that you have the Chrysler towing protection to the nearest dealer. There should be a 800 number in your owners manual packet. Good Luck

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Dec 2007, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If it's engine damage caused by their faulty repair, is that something they pay for? I'm good with a lot of things, but unfortunately cars just aren't one of them.
Thanks!
Old 09 Dec 2007, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarine View Post
If it's engine damage caused by their faulty repair, is that something they pay for?
Thanks!
Is sure is something they should pay for, BUT, you can bet they will try and say you traveled too far after the gage read "hot" and it's your fault if it caused damage. Tricky situation. Hopefully no damage was done.

Whatever, don't let them tell you it wasn't their fault that it overheated in the first place. They screwed up!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Dec 2007, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Is sure is something they should pay for, BUT, you can bet they will try and say you traveled too far after the gage read "hot" and it's your fault if it caused damage. Tricky situation. Hopefully no damage was done.

Whatever, don't let them tell you it wasn't their fault that it overheated in the first place. They screwed up!

Couldn't have said it better!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Dec 2007, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool, thanks guys.

Any idea how complicated a repair like this could be? I mean, assuming it's a negligence thing we're talking a hose or something not properly connected; that's a relatively quick fix, right?
Old 09 Dec 2007, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It really depends on what and how much damage was caused. a hose + 1/2 hour or so. Warped head + 2-3 weeks, depends how soon parts can be gotten.

BTW was this done at a dealer or a local machanic?

Old 10 Dec 2007, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just an update: I called the guy this morning and he said that the problem was caused by an air bubble in the coolant line; he'd mentioned this to me when I picked it up but I didn't realize this is what he meant. He drove out to my house and replaced the coolant, and it seems to be fine ATM. Ever hear of that before? I work with pumps and boilers, and it makes sense (we call it air lock), but I'd not realized it could happen in car radiators.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ever hear of that before? I work with pumps and boilers, and it makes sense (we call it air lock), but I'd not realized it could happen in car radiators.
Sure does, all the time. My Vette is a bear to get all the air out. Jack up the front, take off the radiator cap and let the engine idle till the thermostat opens up then hold down the throttle cable to get the revs up. The water will now be sucked into the engine lowering the water level in the radiator so while the engine is reved up, with your other hand hand pour antifreeze/water mixture into the radiator cap opening. When it's filled put the cap back on (engine still at high revs). It's about the same procedure for a lot of cars to get it filled up without any air.

I found out about the air bubble when I needed the interior heat on one cold night. NO heat. The car didn't overheat before that so I guess the air pocket was in the heater part of the system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Dec 2007 at 04:14 pm.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Just an update: I called the guy this morning and he said that the problem was caused by an air bubble in the coolant line; he'd mentioned this to me when I picked it up but I didn't realize this is what he meant. He drove out to my house and replaced the coolant, and it seems to be fine ATM. Ever hear of that before? I work with pumps and boilers, and it makes sense (we call it air lock), but I'd not realized it could happen in car radiators.
Yeah, but its doesn't speak well to his competence that he didn't bleed teh system properly.
There's a bleeder valve by the thermostat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles