PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No low beams in cold weather...sort of

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2007, 07:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default No low beams in cold weather...sort of

Hi Folks,
I am using my brother's 2001 pt cruiser. The low beam head lights do not work in temperatures approximately between 25 and 35 degrees fahrenheit until the car is running for 20 to 30 minutes and I give the adjustable steering wheel a firm push to it's low position. The funny thing is that they work fine in lower temperatures...go fiqure. They also work fine in warm weather. My brother said he had taken it to the dealer but they could not find a problem. That was a while ago and he doesn't remember all the details. He hardly ever drove at night and the car has been garage kept. I've searched the Web and could not find this temperature related problem anywhere. And of course I don't want to take it to the dealer and hear......"Sorry they seem to work fine.....that'll be $200.00 please". Sorry for the sarcasm. Hope someone has a clue. Thanks
Old 10 Dec 2007, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No low beams in cold weather...sort of

The odds are pretty good that your problem is almost certainly in the multifunction stalk. The guts of the stalk are poorly made and although I've never heard of temperature related problems, all kinds of other problems have popped up with the stalk. Headlights or fog lights continue to stay on even when they're turned off is the biggest complaints. I'd hate for you to go to the expense of replacing the stalk and finding out that wasn't the problem, but chances are it is. Do you search on the "multifunction switch/stalk" and see the problems that people are having.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: No low beams in cold weather...sort of

not yet. Thanks Crewzin