Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cost to Replace Rack and Pinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2008, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cost to Replace Rack and Pinion?

like mentioned give them a call you got nothing to loose let us know how you make out
Old 09 Jul 2008, 12:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
like mentioned give them a call you got nothing to loose let us know how you make out
Sounds like a VERY slim chance since I have almost 125kilo miles
Old 09 Jul 2008, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tm05cruiser

I had a 2005 with the rack leaking out of both ends , i made a call to chrysler , and they took care of it. Hope you have the same good luck i did . No longer own my Pt got rid of it and bought a brand new CHEVY COBALT . So far we love it , Happy Cruisen !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktraynor View Post
There is fluid leaking from the right front end of the car. The power stearing is getting tighter and tighter. There is an aweful almost gringing/squealing noise when the car is cold that diminishes as the car warms up--but I don't think it fully goes away at this point (my husband has been driving the car lately so I'm not 100% sure.) There is no doubt that something is wrong and the main part of their diagnosis doesn't seem out of place. I guess the solenoid is on the transmission--still don't know anything about what solenoids do, but I never detected any problems with shifting. It's an automatic trans. Hope that's enough information.
Exactly what I experienced last winter in my '05 Touring Edition. After taking it to the same dealership twice without getting a diagnosis ("it would have to get worse before they would know what was wrong with it") I took the car to a 2nd dealership that determined that the rack and pinion would have to be replaced (but my car was under warranty...barely.) It took four days for the repair (I paid the rental car expense) and when I got it back there was an inch of free play in the steering wheel, which required me to return it to the dealership which they duly fixed at no additional charge. The car has also had head gasket leaks repaired twice...once when it was but a month in my possession and a 2nd time when the rack and pinion was replaced.

I love the car, and it's paid for now (I qualified for a 36 month, no interest loan) and it looks (nearly) showroom new. I love the feel of the car, its roominess and utility. It has, however, spent more time in the shop than any car I've ever owned in my 42 years of driving.

MK
Old 19 Dec 2008, 03:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yale329

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktraynor View Post
A Chrysler dealership just informed that I needed a new rack and pinion and solenoid (I don't know what that is) and the entire job is going to cost $1800.00 Ouch! I'm already broke from Christmas. This is on a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Ed. Has anyone else had a similar replacement recently? What did it cost? I do feel like I am being over-charged and am just wanting to do a santity check with other PT owners. Thanks! K
I am so sorry, but get used to it. I surtenly am not impressed in the least with Chrysler at all. Yep a Rack is expensive, and yes Cyrysler uses minimal standards for parts. This is my post on the Auto Forum. Good luck, from Wayne

I have a 2005 Pt Turbo. Power steering hose has burst no less than 5 times in the last 2 years, under warranty at the time. Well, again it happened to the same hose near the rack and pinion, but now it is off of warranty. Still asking chrysler for a free fix. 6,000 klms Canada over warranty. Anyone else have the same issue. I feel it must be a hose defect, or pressure in the rack that they have misdiagnosed all this time? Racks are expensive to replace. Please note, I must add, a different dodge Dealer found the nut to the rack and pinion was finger tight only, documented, and on file the last time it occurred. I am old fashion , so instead of what we are told, always let the care warm up for at least 15 minutes, never crank the steering to its limit, also happened after the car was warm and a 6 mile drive. This has just about caused two accidents. One major last year when a pedestrian ran in front of my car and I slowed down to miss him. Of course that is when you notice you have a very heavy steering. Secondly this last time making a slow turn almost running into a curb.
Thanks if you reply, Wayne
As of 8 am this morning, contacted several different Dealers. Ford has a good will agreement for 20,000 klms if the issue has happened 3 previous times. Every Dealer said 6 times is strike out for something is wrong. Well, I will wait for Chrysler Canada to call back. They were nice , but I will see. And yes I must admit to blowing up in their service Department the 4th time, for I dam near hit someone. Truthfully Wayne. Surely I can't be the only one?? How about a response friends. Being an old backyard mechanic for my dad when alive was one just gave me a thought. Didd the Dealers bleed the power steering after repairs, or is that not done anymore? Also, does driving without repairs which I have been told to do until an opening was available damage components? Just in, 11:33 am, Winnipeg Canada time. No responce from Chrysler canada? Possibly we are all screwed. Well Crysler is shut down in Canada, no answer, told no number at this time. Best start to worry.
1:00 pm our time. Still no responce from two Dealers. N?ot to worried for when it warms up I will fix it an bleed the system.
WHAT about you??I can't imagine how worried you all musy be. But please worry and call whom ever you can. We are losing jobs as much as you are, but you all hold the dice. 11p:m and i did not have to drive today, but no calls. Think I will buy a Ford this year.:angry

Last edited by yale329; 19 Dec 2008 at 03:33 am.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 12:58 pm
Young Cruiser

yale329
Time to call a local TV station, the investigative reporter guy. I'd present the unsafe, almost hit a pedestrian argument followed with the multiple repairs and now no answer.
It's amazing how they want to embarass businesses. I've tried it, worked great!
good luck.
ps...'05 gt, 37,000 miles, not one problem, drove it hard.
now a '03 Standard, manual trans. 71,000 miles, plugs and wires, that's it so far, even has origional brake pads/shoes. driving it hard, having fun at 50mph!
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yale329

I will wait until after New Year for Crysler Canada to call. I am told by the Dealer I burnt all bridges at their multiple owned Dealerships, but I beg to differ. They will be hurt much more by the truth than I will. Thanks for your email. Wayne from Winnipeg.