Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cost to Replace Rack and Pinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2007, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cost to Replace Rack and Pinion?

A Chrysler dealership just informed that I needed a new rack and pinion and solenoid (I don't know what that is) and the entire job is going to cost $1800.00 Ouch! I'm already broke from Christmas. This is on a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Ed. Has anyone else had a similar replacement recently? What did it cost? I do feel like I am being over-charged and am just wanting to do a santity check with other PT owners. Thanks! K
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cost to Replace Rack and Pinion?

Welcome.
Read this:
RACK AND PINION ~ Help

Remedy for a P0551 Code

What is the sympton that causes them to want to replace the steering rack?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2007, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Cost to Replace Rack and Pinion?

There is fluid leaking from the right front end of the car. The power stearing is getting tighter and tighter. There is an aweful almost gringing/squealing noise when the car is cold that diminishes as the car warms up--but I don't think it fully goes away at this point (my husband has been driving the car lately so I'm not 100% sure.) There is no doubt that something is wrong and the main part of their diagnosis doesn't seem out of place. I guess the solenoid is on the transmission--still don't know anything about what solenoids do, but I never detected any problems with shifting. It's an automatic trans. Hope that's enough information.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any chance of getting a second opinion? A good mechanic would do.
Difinitely sounds like Power steering went - but it's usually the pump. There meay be seals on the rack that need replacing, but replacing the rack, while easier & more profitable for the dealer, is more than what you MAY need - hard to tell - if you can get another inspection......

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2007, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It looks like it's too late for a second opinion. My husband already okay'd the work with the dealership. Well, so much for worrying. It's only money....
Thanks anyway!
Old 02 Jun 2008, 12:29 am
Young Cruiser

I was told by an alignment tech that my rack and pinion has problems.

He demonstrated by moving the from tire side to side and there was a clunk noise and swishing soound. This is power steering. I have no idea. Anyway he says he couldn't align it. It seems to track well but I can feel it tug if I slowly turn while going over a bump or hole.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 10:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnt View Post
I was told by an alignment tech that my rack and pinion has problems.

He demonstrated by moving the from tire side to side and there was a clunk noise and swishing soound. This is power steering. I have no idea. Anyway he says he couldn't align it. It seems to track well but I can feel it tug if I slowly turn while going over a bump or hole.
Anybody heard of this diagnosis or symptoms?
Old 08 Jul 2008, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

had the one in my wifes car done over the winter after she slid into a curb during some light snow total bill was 695.00 that was new rack & installation
Old 08 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm
Young Cruiser

MAKE CHRYSLER PAY FOR IT, not the dealer BUT CHRYSLER.

I had taken my PT in for the same sounds, the clunking and swooshing BEFORE my limited Warranty expired and they said it was nothing.

Before I knew it, I was out of my warranty and the noise was worse. They then told me it was a bad rack and pinion. I called Chrysler's 800 # and told them that a rack and pinion should not be going out at 40,000 miles.

They got in contact with the dealer to verify the diagnosis. Chrysler comped all the work.

DO IT. CALL! All you can do is try.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had some transmission work done to my 2003 PT at 73,000 miles.It was going to cost me around a $1000.I called Chrysler up and told them that it was just a few thousand miles over the 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty and that it had been making this noise for sometime and i felt that it should be covered by them.They put me on hold while they called my local Chrysler dealership where i have my car serviced,a few minutes later they came back and told me that they had checked with my dealership and since i had my PT serviced there at all the schelued maintence intervals (to my surpise)they would pay for the repairs 100%,no hassle or anything.I don't know about anyone elses experiences with Chrysler but they are the BEST automobile manufacturer i have EVER dealt with!

Johnny