Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lost all car key

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default lost all car key

hey i have lost all the car keys for my pt am wondering how much it is lickly to cost me to get news keys do the dealers generally carry a key or will i have to get all the locks replaced
Old 14 Dec 2007, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: lost all car key

Dealers have the keys in stock. The keys with integrated fobs run about 140, plus the dealer has to program the car for you if you lost all of them. you can reprogram the car yourself but you need at least one working keyfob with you. Went through this last year.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 01:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Dealers have the keys in stock. The keys with integrated fobs run about 140, plus the dealer has to program the car for you if you lost all of them. you can reprogram the car yourself but you need at least one working keyfob with you. Went through this last year.
It is my understanding you need two working keys to make one yourself. Not correct?.....Open up your wallet, the dealer is going to ream you.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:22 am
Cool Cruiser

all that is required is one working transmitter for reprogramming. this is an excerp from alldata....

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMING
New Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters can be programed using the scan tool, if no functioning transmitter is available.

The following procedure can be used as long as one functioning transmitter is available:

Insert the key into the ignition switch, and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position (without starting the vehicle).
Using the RKE transmitter programmed to the RKE module, press and continuously hold down the UNLOCK button for 4-10 seconds .
Within the 4-10 second time range, continue to hold the UNLOCK button and press the PANIC button. Both buttons may then be released. Upon the PANIC button being depressed, the message for customer programming mode will be transmitted to the RKE module.
A chime will be heard to verify that the customer programming mode has been entered.
Press and release any button on each transmitter that is to be programmed to the RKE module, including any transmitters which were previously programmed to the RKE module (with a maximum of four possible). After each transmitter is successfully programmed, a chime will be heard to verify that successful programming of the transmitter has occurred.
After 30 seconds , or upon the ignition switch being turned OFF, a chime will indicate that the RKE module has exited the programming mode.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

problem is i have lost the key so i cant get a new one cut as i dont have one to cut it off i have the remote central looking button but i dont have any keys and if i was to get a standard key with chip in it how would i get it cut to fit ignition
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:43 am
Cool Cruiser

All you need is your VIN and proof that it is your car and a dealership should be able to look up your key code and cut a new key. This of course is assuming that the original lock cylinders havent been changed.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Mean Green- two keys are needed only if your vehicle is equipped with the factory Immobilizer system (SKIS), Standard systems can use only one key.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

dealership can do it for sure
Old 15 Dec 2007, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: lost all car key

Yup! A dealership job!
If you are the original owner, you originally got a small white tag attached to the keys, that has the codes for key and ignition security. That would make the job & $$ easier! I still have fine in a folder.