Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Appreciate some snow driving advice/tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2007, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Appreciate some snow driving advice/tips

Really appreciate anyone's time on this...

Although I've live in a rural mountain area that gets frequent black ice and occasional snow in the winter, I work at home and have had the luxury of just ignoring the snow until it melts. It's never on the ground for more than one or two days, and we usually get 4"-6" when it does snow. I should add that I live on a winding mountain road that only gets plowed by the good graces of a neighbor -- so it's iffy when/if it gets plowed. Once we're off our 3-mile mountain road, we're on town roads that rarely see snow. The problem is now that my son is taking courses at the local college, we're going to have to get him to classes come hell or high water... or snow (we're a one-car family right now). Right now we have good all-season tires, not snow tires.

My questions are: what tires would anyone recommend for modest snow that only falls about 6-8 times a year (this isn't the Yukon -- we otherwise have just rainy days), and how much snow (how many inches) can a Cruiser drive through with AND without snow tires? And any other tips for ice and snow driving in my Cruiser? I'm a total newbie to snow driving on any level... I'm transplanted from Los Angeles where there is NO weather, as you all know.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Appreciate some snow driving advice/tips

Welcome to the Forum DogBitez, I'm transplanted from Los Angeles where there is NO weather, as you all know. You never posted where you are now, or filled it in your bio.

As to your tires, I have seen postings from people in the snow country who say,
" the all weather tires are sufficient". Good Luck

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Dec 2007, 11:56 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm in northern Virginia; we get some snow, but mostly we just get ice..... nice, inch-or-two-thick ice. Very pretty; just a teensy bit dangerous to drive on, though! I've got all-weather tires; never had any problems with them, ice or snow.

General rule #1: if you don't HAVE to go out, DON'T! Stay home, drink hot chocolate, play parcheesi with the kids, STAY SAFE.

General rule#2: never try to hurry! Leave lots of extra space between you and everybody else out there, and if some idiot wants to speed past you, let him: your goal isn't to get someplace fast, it's merely to get there SAFE.

General rule#3: no sudden moves! No speeding, no quick turns, no slamming on brakes: just nice and easy and smooth. And give everybody else lots of advance warning what you plan to do, so them don't have to risk smacking into the back of your car.

In sum: DRIVE GENTLY, and leave yourself plenty of extra time.

Oh yes, one more thing: please get ALL the snow off your car: clear ALL your windows so you can see out. Clear your hood so it doesn't blow onto your windshield; clear your roof (and the trunk if it's a sedan!) so it doesn't blow onto the guy behind you; clear your head AND tail lights, so you can both see and be seen. Please!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Appreciate some snow driving advice/tips

Oklahoma winters here!
I just took off the performence, low-profile aftermarket tires&wheels, and put the stock all-season Good Years back on. All I need to do now is slow down! Slow and steady - avoid heavy braking!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
I thought I replied to this - another forum??
Anyway - I live my Michelin Hydroedge tires - very good wear, they're better in wet than the Good-for-a-years were in dry.
My winter driving tip is : GRADUALLY. Do everything gradually - accelerating, steering, and braking. If the wheels start to spin, ease up on the gas.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2007, 06:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Oklahoma winters here!
I just took off the performence, low-profile aftermarket tires&wheels, and put the stock all-season Good Years back on. All I need to do now is slow down! Slow and steady - avoid heavy braking!
good advice..........or just stay home.......lol
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

1- good all-season tires. The stock badyears are worthless on just plain Wet, even worse on snow, and will Scare The 4311 out of you on hardpack.

2- Drive gently.

3- (best part) First snowfall, find a snow-filled empty parking lot and PRACTICE.
Acceleration (if you got ABS/Traction control you will be a happy person)
Stops, including panic stops and stopping while turning. Again ABS is your friend.
Intentionally skid and recover. Experiment to see what happens when you get on the brakes or the gas while trying to recover from a skid.
(Key to skid recovery: forget 'steer into or against the skid'
Just look at where you WANT to go, you will tend to steer that way.
If you stare at the trees you will hit the trees.)

Play in the snow, where there is nothing to hit, until you have a feel for how the car behaves.

Besides, it is fun.

4- If you are blessed with manual transmission and ABS/Traction Control thank whoever asked for that unusual combination of options.

---

Snow handling:
The PT is not a Jeep. But with good tires and a careful attitude it can handle 4-6 inches of snow.
After 6 inches it gets trickier, as the underside of the car will start 'floating' on the snow, reducing the weight on the tires, thus severely reducing traction.

I have driven through a nor'easter which had me dealing with up to 10 inches in some spots, and managed to get home safely. (5 speed/abs-traction/Continental 'Extreme Contact' all season tires; following 18-wheelers along the thruway at 30-35 MPH.)
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com

Last edited by fritz_t_coyote; 19 Dec 2007 at 10:03 am. Reason: added info