Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question to get a convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2007, 02:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Question to get a convertible

Hi, I have a 03 GT 5 speed and I love the PT. It fits my lifestyle very well and it's easy to get in and out of and I can and drive for hours. But I'm wanting to do a trade but then the 03 is almost paid off too. I'm looking for an 05 GT convertible 5 speed with low miles or even a few left that are new with 5 speeds. I don't want an auto trans because it just isn't as much fun to drive. And an 06 or newer just doesn't look as good and the dash sucks and blows chunks. I've never had a convertible and was wondering if it's worth the trade off from a hard top with sunroof. I live in Florida so is a convertible harder to keep cooler in the summer then a hard top.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 05:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Question to get a convertible

Some good questons you got there. I'm planning to sell my '02 and get a convertible. Friend of mine has one that I've ridden it. Of course, I rode in the back and the top was down so getting in and out was very easy.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Once you have a convertible you will never go back!!

Your choice of a convertible will be the best thing you ever did! I have a 2005 and feel the same as you about the changes on the outside and dash. I would buy a newer one in a second if they would not have made the styling changes that they did. I would recommend that you get the turbo. I have a standard transmission NA and feel it is just too under powered. Get the vert and enjoy Florida!!!
Old 16 Dec 2007, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: Question to get a convertible

I've had a 2006 Touring for a year; and just gotten a 2006 GT Vert!
*The rag top has an inside liner, and so it has a layer of air for insulation. In the cold here in OKlahoma, I have noticed no big problem heating; and so I would suspect no big problems cooling. (Less window surface too) If you are running the A/C at all, you might as well crank up the fan at no fuel cost!
**After having an NT manual tranny; I love the Turbo (less effort on accel), but I prefer the auto tranny - guess I got too old to switch back.
(I just can't break myself of coasting up to traffic lights, and sitting there in 3rd gear waiting for the light to turn - only to be in too low a gear to rip off!
Old 16 Dec 2007, 11:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for the input.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 01:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIHEMI46 View Post
I've never had a convertible and was wondering if it's worth the trade off from a hard top with sunroof. I live in Florida so is a convertible harder to keep cooler in the summer then a hard top.
Personally I would think so, and I live in western Canada where I can only put the top down from about May to October.... Living in Florida, the only time you should put the top up is when it rains.;-)

I enjoy my 'vert immensely. As an side note here, I use my other vehicle as my winter car. This is my first winter with my car, but it has a great heater in it and I took it out for a 100 mile roundtrip outing the other day in -20°C (-4°F) temps and it was a pleasure to drive.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit

Last edited by Windancer; 17 Dec 2007 at 01:56 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Question to get a convertible

I bought a PT Cruiser convertible in Florida(on ebay) and drove it home to Illinois and put it in the garage. I will use it as my "good weather" car. I have had a few other convertibles in my life (I'm 55 now) and I don't enjoy them much in the direct hot sunshine. The top stays up most of the time during the summer. Convertibles a VERY nice after the sun goes down in the summer or on the somewhat cooler spring and fall days. I bought a Purple 05turbo lite convert with 6,000 miles on it. I hope to drive it sparingly and then let my Granddaughter use it when she turns 16 (6 years from now). For many years I tinkered around with "old" cars. I loved the style. Now I have the retro look with modern conveiniences and a warranty.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrat View Post
I bought a PT Cruiser convertible I loved the style. Now I have the retro look with modern conveiniences and a warranty.
Sums it up for me!!!!!
Old 20 Dec 2007, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIHEMI46 View Post
I live in Florida so is a convertible harder to keep cooler in the summer then a hard top.
I just got my 2006 GT 'Vert back in August (had a 2006 Base prior), and my new GT is black with black top, and it is extremely hard to keep cool here in FL. I'll run the A/C for about 10 minutes before you can feel a difference in the car. believe me, the A/C works too, but the black top just soaks up all the heat. I am sure the black paint doesn't help any either. My Silver 2006 Base model wasn't as bad, but I drove with the top down with that one a lot more than my GT so far, so that's a good comparison yet.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 20 Dec 2007, 09:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks everyone and to matt87951, Living in Florida the sun here just cooks everything and if it's summer here it's either raining or the A/C is blasting on full force and it's still to hot. But on your input I want to say thank you, so I'm looking for the right convertible now.