Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instrument cluster lamps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2007, 05:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Instrument cluster lamps

So, I took apart everything necessary to replace the instrument lamps on my wifes 2002 Limited PT - not too much work (except the left dashboard end cover - more on that later) 3 were burned out, so I did them all. Anyway, I put it all back together, careful of course to make sure all the lamps lit before re-assembling. The highbeam indicator that did work berfore replacing the lamps, now doesn't work and everything else does. There were only 6 of the twist out lamp holders, not 7. Any ideas about what happened? Back to the left dashboard end cover. Anyone have any easy way to re-install it? Getting it under the door seal was a #*&*%^$## of a gun, I got it, but there must be an easier way than what I did . . .

Thanks,
Nickatnite
Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Instrument cluster lamps

there should have been 7 twist out sockets on the back of the cluster. two are int he center and the one on the bottom is the high beam indicator bulb. as for your end cap, did you remove the weatherstripping first or leave it in? its usually easier to pull the weatherstripping than fight it. and there is an order to removing all the items necessary to access the cluster....
removal 1. dash cap 2. steering column cover 3. end cap 4. bezel. install is reverse. going out of sequence causes difficulties. Hope this helps.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 08:44 pm
Young Cruiser

I could have sworn there were only six - oh well , never could balance my check book either till I got it on the computer. I never thought about taking off the weather strip first - does it come off easily or are there any tricks to it? I had no trouble with anything else. Yes you hae been very helpful, thank you!

Nick
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

the weatherstrips are tight if theyve never been off. they have a sealant in them that kinda glues them down. use gentle constant pressure and slowly pull them off, trust me, dont pull or yank as they will tear.
Old 03 Jun 2012, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickatnite View Post
I could have sworn there were only six - oh well , never could balance my check book either till I got it on the computer. I never thought about taking off the weather strip first - does it come off easily or are there any tricks to it? I had no trouble with anything else. Yes you hae been very helpful, thank you!

Nick
Instrument panel lamp replacement -
Say Nickatnight, think you can send me the details from your Haynes Auto Repair book on how to replace my instrument panel bulbs?
Looks kind of scary! I don't want to get everything apart and not be able to put it back together.

Many thanks
Old 03 Jun 2012, 08:03 pm
Young Cruiser

The instructions are under the Tech Section as a sticky.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 08:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickatnite View Post
So, I took apart everything necessary to replace the instrument lamps on my wifes 2002 Limited PT - not too much work (except the left dashboard end cover - more on that later) 3 were burned out, so I did them all. Anyway, I put it all back together, careful of course to make sure all the lamps lit before re-assembling. The highbeam indicator that did work berfore replacing the lamps, now doesn't work and everything else does. There were only 6 of the twist out lamp holders, not 7. Any ideas about what happened? Back to the left dashboard end cover. Anyone have any easy way to re-install it? Getting it under the door seal was a #*&*%^$## of a gun, I got it, but there must be an easier way than what I did . . .

Thanks,
Nickatnite
I tackled this task today with the same result. Originally there was only one bulb blown *right of Speedo, left of tach*. After replacing, I installed guages only to discover that two more had blown *Fuel guage and right of tach*. I disassembled again to replace those bulbs. All worked fine. Drove it tonight only to find that the hi beam indicator was not working. Really dreading tearing entire dash apart YET AGAIN!