Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem with fog & headlights & directionals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2007, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with fog & headlights & directionals

I've searched the other threads and can't find anything like what is happening to my 2001 PT.

When my headlights are off and I put on my left directional, the fog lights go on, then turn off once the directional is off. This only happens when the directional is put on fully (locks into position, not just held down by me)... the fog lights don't go on when I don't lock the directional.

However, when the headlights are on, I can use the directional without the fog lights coming on. This has not happened with the right directional... yet.

The dealer said something about a switch, and a cost of $250, and I did not authorize the work when it was in for other stuff. Any suggestions??
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with fog & headlights & directionals

It's probably your multi-function switch. It's the switch that controls your headlights, directionals, high beams, and fog lights. The whole stalk is the complete unit.

The part is about $70 at a Chrysler dealer, it you know how to turn a screw driver, and have about 20mins to 1/2 hour, you can do the job yourself and save the other $180 bucks.

Do a search for "multi function switch", there are many, many posts on this, some with directions.

srg
Old 23 Dec 2007, 12:22 am
Cool Cruiser

MFS or bad ground on one side. ground is easy to check as it is on the inner fender, MFS is relatively easy to install as SRG pointed out.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any recommendations where to obtain a multi function switch other than the dealer?? $70 is not that much, compared to the $250 they were going to charge me for parts and labor to do the job (I found instructions elsewhere... THANKS!) but let's face it, if I can pay less, I'm all for that!

By the way, I don't have a picture of it, but my PT is a 2001 Patriot Blue Limited Edition with the fancy red & white stripes.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by qedkress View Post
Any recommendations where to obtain a multi function switch other than the dealer?? $70 is not that much, compared to the $250 they were going to charge me for parts and labor to do the job (I found instructions elsewhere... THANKS!) but let's face it, if I can pay less, I'm all for that!

By the way, I don't have a picture of it, but my PT is a 2001 Patriot Blue Limited Edition with the fancy red & white stripes.
$56.90 Chrysler Parts Direct - Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Parts and accessories
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 01 Apr 2008, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Problem with fog & headlights & directionals

Well is it common to replace the multi function switch twice in the last 7 years on my 2001 PT, with this time it got to the point that it started to smoke inside my car coming from the steering column. I got the part back from the mechanic and I want to send it to Chrysler with maybe something they can help me out with it
Old 01 Apr 2008, 09:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Mine to the same, but only when it's hot outside....Wtf??

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 03 Apr 2008, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

See my post here.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wish I had seen this post sooner! My husband & I were able to replace the MF Switch with one I purchased from an OEM supplier online (much cheaper than the quote I got from my dealer!!) but when we were done, the directionals would not work. After bringing it to the dealer and paying for the labor and the replacement of another "small part" I wondered if trying it myself had been worth it after all!! NOW I read one of the posts from this previous thread indicating there is a "small part" that needs to be used from the old switch. That was not included in the directions for replacing it that I was originally directed to, and I bet that's what my dealer replaced! Oh well... live and learn...

My biggest question is WHY IS THIS NOT A RECALL ITEM?!?!? I mean, really, FIRES being caused by poor design or cheap materials being used is not something Chrysler is concerned about?!? The switch I replaced had some melting evident on it, so it was just a matter of time. I love my PT, but this situation on my PT, a similar problem on my husband's Dodge Durango, and an electrical problem on my mother's Dodge Caravan all have me wondering if it's not time to "switch" the brand of cars we are driving (Yes, the pun WAS intended!)
Old 04 Apr 2008, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Why isn't it a recall item? Because just like the burnt out fan motors, worn out bushings and front wheel bearings. Failed power steering pumps etc. They would cost Chrysler billions so they just tell us it's not a major problem and only when owners are hurt or die from the cheap or poorly designed parts and it's brought to the attention of people that can do something about it does it make it to the recall stage...and even then maybe not.

Remember the Ford Pinto. Ford new about the cars and how the gas tank could explode in a rear end collision but memos were found from upper management saying that it would cost more to recall all the Pintos and redesign them than to pay off the survivors of the people killed in a rear ender.

There's other examples from Ford and Chevrolet that I could mention but everything comes down to cost.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.