Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car horn's weak when locking up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2007, 04:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Car horn's weak when locking up.

Just recently my horn's pretty weak when I use the remote lock...but it wasn't like that 2 days ago. The only thing I can think of is that my 20 year old nephew was mucking around in the hood looking for a place to put my Aoogah horn.

HOWEVER~ in case he didn't inadvertantly moved the connections, I'm wondering what could be causing the horn to be so weak though. The horn's fine when I manually honk it, but not when I lock up the car.

UGH I hate the idea that I'd have to go back the car shop again...it takes up my time from work to get things done.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 09:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Car horn's weak when locking up.

Hi, I have a 05 vert and it is doing the same thing, about 2 weeks now, I didn't touch anything, so probably no ones fault. This time a year I just haven't had time to go to the dealer and have it checked out... Bob, Goatfalls
Old 24 Dec 2007, 10:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Car horn's weak when locking up.

If it's intermittant, it could be the connections or the battery is weak. It's easy to clean & check the connections. Especially to be sure the ground wire is still connected....that could make it weak.
What year is the PT? The beep on locking is just a short peep, compared to a regular blast when the engine is running; and could be because the horn itself is older.....not brand new.
(just some thoughts....having installed the second "high tone" horn myself.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 12:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

it's a 2006 PT (TE)

it's not intermittent unfortunately. My nephew thinks that because of the rains we've been getting lately, the horn got soaked? that's a possibility. so it's more of a wait and see if the horn will dry out.

when I lock up the horn gives a peep, it's about the same decibel as the manual horn. but it's gotten pretty soft and weak...even severely hearing impaired, I can tell the difference.

it's been pretty good until recently. hmmmm.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hi. Happy Holidays. Personally I think the horn is pretty well protected from the elements to get soaked by rain. Freezing weather might play a part. It's hidden in the passenger side wheel well under a pretty thick inner-liner. I'd think more on the lines as was already mentioned (bad/faulty ground) maybe caused by moisture at the terminal. Around 2003 Chrysler did away with the second horn and left everyone with one single note. Upgrading is pretty easy by adding (I believe) the high note horn to what you already have. I think I saw a post where someone said the hardware and wires are there, all you need in the extra horn.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Car horn's weak when locking up.

Carey,
I was one of those posters. My son helped me with the electrical. The mounting place for the second horn is there. You just have to tie-in the wiring. The second, high-tone horn gives you a great, loud sound. The OEM horn is just enough to ignore. Sounds like it should be on a VW.
**Actually babe, I was going to also mention that I hope someone had not moved you horn, and mounted it in a direction to get water "into" the horn...... Surely not!
Old 26 Dec 2007, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

check the ground
Old 30 Dec 2007, 12:12 am
Regular Cruiser

my nephew took the horn from the wheel well and it turns out that it DID have water in it...by shaking the horn, I can see the water come out of it and hear it gurgling inside it.

so....anyone know of a good after market horn? We have Schuck's, Knecht's, Napa, and Auto Zone here in Oregon if anyone is familiar with those auto parts stores.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Car horn's weak when locking up.

I just looked, but can't seem to locate my receipt.
But, I got mine at Autozone. I believe that it was a "Highway Blaster", or something like that.
I bought the "high tone", as it complemented the OEM, low tone, to gives you a nice loud sound.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 30 Dec 2007 at 08:25 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You take your car thru car washes?