Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Standard Transmission 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2007, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Standard Transmission 2001

I am new to this forum but I need some info about what is happening to my transmission. It has been stiff moving into reverse. It's a 5 speed standard. But the day before yesterday it simply refused to find reverse. I read the manual and discovered that its lubicration is supposed to last a life time. Any ideas or sources of information before I head to the dealership and its $90 an hour labor fee would be appreciated.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Standard Transmission 2001

It sounds like either your shifter is out of adjustment, or your clutch is failing to fully disengage. My money would be on your clutch. worn springs on your clutch would be the most obvious reason which would call for a new clutch. to a lesser extent the fluid in the clutch system could need changing. brake fluid (what the clutch system uses) soaks up moisture after a while and loses some of its effectiveness.

Last edited by Cartman; 27 Dec 2007 at 12:04 am.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Is it possible to deal with this by adding either brake fluid or transmission fluid?
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:58 am
Cool Cruiser

probably not unless you are low. you will need to exchange all the fluid for that repair to be successful. my money is still on the clutch tho....
Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Okay and thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 07:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm willing to bet it's your shifter cable bushings at the transmission. Is the shifter feel real sloppy? Thats been my experience atleast.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, it's fairly stiff. It is hard to find reverse to the point where it refuses to go into it. It shifts normally into first, third and fourth, and feels loose in second.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 09:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

have you tried putting it in first and then moving a inch, then going into rev? My old truck sometoimes wouldnt go into rev (found out the clutch wasnt releasing all the way later on...) but if id bump it forward with a little 1st, then go into rev, it would usually go right in.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I want to thanks those who posted for your help. Turns out it shift cable bushings which had deteriorated (no explanationn why) so the shifter cable set was replaced and the cable length was adjusted. Only $482. Of course, while it was in they discovered the upper radiator leaking so we had the radiator replace too. Another $533. Did you ever notice how often things like this happen around the holiday season? Ah well, we still love our little Cruiser.