Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starting Trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2007, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Starting Trouble

Have a 2001 Touring Edition with a strange problem. It sometimes won't start. Cranks OK but will not fire. No codes on computer. Strangest part is, it happens mostly AT NIGHT! Driving me nuts. Sometimes weeks with no problems and then BAM! No start. Try again in morning and starts right up. Anyone ever hear of this problem?
Old 28 Dec 2007, 09:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Starting Trouble

Welcome to the forums!
Your problem could be a flakey ignition switch. There are many circuits that connect at different positions of the key. If one of these doesn't make a good connection, the engine may turn over but not get spark and or fuel. The fact that it happens at night could be that the temps are cooler and things contract making the connection worse.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 28 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Starting Trouble

Thanks for the reply. I never thought of the ignition switch but I think that might be the problem. The switch is only about $20 and some time so I'll probably try that. I'll let you know if it works. Nice pix.

Last edited by Capecrusher; 28 Dec 2007 at 10:26 pm. Reason: Added info.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome !!
Old 30 Dec 2007, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not quite the same symptoms, but I've read a lot of "hard to start" issues. Most of those seem to be helped by:
Put key in, turn to "on".
Listen to "whirring" of electric fuel pump.
When sound stops (a couple of seconds) turn to "start".

TPS could well be correct - you have a lot of "junk" on your keyring? Take it off.
The weight pulls on the lock tumblers.

You don't have original battery do you? On an '01 you ought to be on your second or even third battery. Does it crank over fast or slow?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Dec 2007, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not the original battery, but a Mopar. Cranks great starts 97% of the time. Mostly at night, but can happen any time. Don't have a lot of extra baggage on keyring. Going to try the switch change in a couple of days (payday!). Thanks for the reply. All help is appreciated. Have had car for 2 years now. Bought it used with 12000 miles on it. Now has about 27000 miles. Replaced a steering pump pressure switch but other than that no problems. Only normal maint. Cruisers Rock!
Old 31 Dec 2007, 08:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Could be the fuel pump relay starting to go out, or even the immobilizer system failing to read the key correctly.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced ignition switch today. Will report on status.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

(maybe it's just scared of going out in the dark.....)
Old 04 Feb 2008, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I got the switch in and I think that might have been the problem. Feels stiffer and car hits REALLY QUICK now. BUT..................... now I have no radio light and I'll see if the panel lights work tonight. ARGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!