PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help installing heated seats please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2007, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help installing heated seats please!

For Christmas, my son purchased like-new heated leather seats for my 2001 PT Cruiser. He had no trouble installing the seats, but has not been able to hook up the heater function of the seats. It looked like it was just a matter of plugging them in to the connection, but the heater would not activate. My son has an electrical background, so thought he could figure this out with the fuses, but has had no luck so far. We purchased a Chilton's manual, but it did not show the schematics for the heated seats. We live in Michigan, so I am very anxious to be able to use the seats. Has anyone had any experience with this, or could you please point us in the right direction? Thanks so much!!! :thanks2:
Old 03 Jan 2008, 04:59 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Need help installing heated seats please!

The switch on the seats likely activates (switches on) a relay rather switching the power for the heat element itself. If you or your son haven't messed with high amperage 12 volt accessories I would recommend finding a qualified auto electric mechanic to wire it up for you.

Since the PT you have never came with heated seats it won't be a matter of just plugging it in to the fuse block because the components (relay) to run it or them won't be there, either. The seats will have high current draw that will fry your car's wiring harness if done improperly. Then your insurance company will be able to help you out by contributing your loss (less your deductable) toward a new PT with heated seats.

If you do have experience in wiring and electrical systems you can start by connecting switched 12 volts (activated by the ignition key) to the seat switch (fused). From there, have it trigger a relay with a good strong 12 volt source (fused) to provide power to the element.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Need help installing heated seats please!

I so that all you guy Cruiser installing heated seats know.....
That could considerably reduce you sperm count!
(just a medical factoid)
Old 10 Dec 2008, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wanted to do exactly the same thing to my wife's '01. In the first place the local Chrysler dealer service manager told me that it could not be done since the ecm(?) would not have the proper circuitry(or something) and it was a high risk to add something that it wasn't designed for. But since I already had purchased the heated seats I decided to do it anyway...what they were telling me did not make good common sense since 12v can't pull more than what you fuse it with. I just went from the fused side of the main panel to a seperate little auxiliary panel I bought and mounted it beneath the steering column under that little plastic panel. I fused each circuit going out to the seats seperately and have had no trouble whatsoever. I think there is also a lumbar thing there too as well as the air bags (be careful messing with those). It's been so long since I did it I can't remember the specifics, but I just tried to use lower value fuses as I went out from the main oem panel. The dealer didn't have much to say when I took it back to them and proved them wrong. Makes me wonder if there are any old-school mechanics left out there that can actually figure something out without plugging in a scanner.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 06:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but apparently my "new" (05) PT had other seats installed mechanically that have the heated option. Unfortunately the wires are just tucked up underneath.

Would some kind soul please let me know where to find the connectors to plug into? Are they inside the little access cover on the outboard side of where the seats bolt in, or under the carpet or in the console somewhere? Do they then run from one side to the other, or is there a wire under one of the seats that I have to run through the console?

The fuse is already there, but I'll need the relay; anybody know of a part number for this?

Thanks!
Nate in Ohier.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 07:31 am
Cool Cruiser

One wouldn't think this was so complicated...
Lowers sperm count??? You'd have to put it on high for many ours to even affect it - your 'boys' have a built-in safe guard.
I've not had that option before this one, I admit it's nice. On cool mornings I'll hit the low switch as soon as I crank the car and often not even turn the heat on as I drive to work. My wife now requires that option on her next one.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
I so that all you guy Cruiser installing heated seats know.....
That could considerably reduce you sperm count!
(just a medical factoid)
Hey Soonercruiser I think with a name like Judy-s I don't think she has to worry about that. My 01LE has evey option but heated seats here in Michigan that would be nice to have....Judy-s where are you from in Michigan? I'm from Saginaw MI.

I now see this is an old thread......

Last edited by twress; 11 Dec 2009 at 12:01 pm.