Advertisements
Side-Rear Fixed Window (the small ones) Wind Noise

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Indy0465

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2008, 12:24 am
Young Cruiser

Red face Side-Rear Fixed Window (the small ones) Wind Noise

There must be a leak in the seal. I was able to pull a piece of vinyl moulding that looks like maybe post manufacture spot welding. I could see no other evidence of a wreck but can not be sure.

Regardless, I see some small studs that are on what look like rubber mounts. I can probably get to all of those nuts and concievably pull the window, or...
I had considered using a sealant. Most silicone stuff has acetic acid which will likely promote rust.

Does anybody have any advice, exploded views or pictures?
Alldata has nothing. All searches make it appear that nobody know there are small fixed windows on PTs.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 01:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Side-Rear Fixed Window (the small ones) Wind Noise

the quarter glass is relatively easy to remove. Remove the pillar trims, youll have to remove the seat belt bolt on the c pillar, fold down your rear seat on that side. remove the screws that hold the quarter trim panel in place and pull the trim panel away from the glass .taking the panel completely out at this point would be really easy and probably make it easier for bolt access. the easiest way to take the bolts out is to use a 9mm gearwrench. if you remove the grab handle from the the side you are working on, you can gently pull the headliner down and reach up behind it with the gearwrench to access the top bolt. when all bolts are removed, have someone hold the glass gently from the outside while you push the glass out. be careful when removing the glass as the studs can pull out of the encapsulation. when the glass is out, get all the sealant off the glass and quarter. the sealant kits can be purchased from a glass company for cheap.they are a foam-cored butyl rope. the sealant size you need is 6mm. you can use 8mm as long as after you apply the sealant to the glass, you heat it up with a hairdryer to make it more pliable. remember to overlap the sealant rope so you dont have water/air leaks. install is reverse of removal.
now, all that being said, there is a recall on the quarterglasses because they will pop out. you could probably get a dealership to replace the glass for free as part of this recall if the glass encapsulation is broken or the studs are pulled out. good luck.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 02:12 am
Young Cruiser

Cartman! I really appreciate the help!

P.S. Leave the fireman alone, you'll go blind! HA! Couldn't resist, I'm a fan.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I received a notice from Chrysler that my 2005 Limited Turbo was a subject of this recall. On my next regular service the Chrysler dealer replaced the windows.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

no problem. the quarterglasses are easy, i have to remove them everytime we paint the quarters.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What was the total scope of the manufacturer quarter window recall? And what was the original defect?
I keep hearing about it (windows falling out at speed?), but found nothing in writing so far. Thanks.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 10:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

here is a copy of the TSB. it has apparently been superceeded. when i first saw the recall, it encompassed all years, apparently theyve narrowed it down some.

MAKE/MODELS: MODEL/BUILD YEARS:

Chrysler/PT Cruiser 2005-2006

MANUFACTURER: DaimlerChrysler Corporation

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER: 07V149000 MFR'S REPORT DATE: April 03, 2007

COMPONENT: Visibility: Glass, Side/Rear

POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 38447

SUMMARY:
On certain passenger vehicles, the rear quarter glass attaching fasteners may pull through their mounts and allow the glass to separate from the vehicle.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the glass separates while driving, it could strike another vehicle or injure a pedestrian.

REMEDY:
Dealers will replace the rear quarter glass. the recall began on April 30, 2007. Owners may contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403.

NOTES:
DaimlerChrysler recall No. G01. Customers may contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for that info. That is a great recall website! Looks like they made my GT a bit after the problem was fixed in the Mexico assembly line.

Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous. Having very little knowledge, I can be very dangerous! I kept hearing about this recall but never received any notice, so I was getting paranoid. Forum to the rescue once again!
Old 05 Mar 2008, 09:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
no problem. the quarterglasses are easy, i have to remove them everytime we paint the quarters.
It turns out that the car was wrecked... Carmax didn't say anything about it. They did a good job except for the leak on the left rear quarter.

The left front has a new polycarm light cover, clearer than the right.

Also left front is out of alignment. It looks great except some chips on front as one would expect. Oh well, I'm happy.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Even though my car is a 2005 PT Cruiser, it was not covered under the recall.
After dismantling all the interior pieces and removing the window, my problem was that the rubber holding the stud screws in place had deteriorated to the point that they were no longer completely encapsulated, thus spinning.
I considered a trip to the junk yard to find a replacement window ($50), but thought I'd try a repair first. After cleaning up all the loose rubber along with the stud screws, I used JW Weld two part epoxy to reseal the screws in place. Fairly straight forward task, just make sure you don't get epoxy on the threads. ($5 at WalMart) I did this while waiting on the Foam Core Butyl Rope I ordered from an Amazon merchant.($16) Then it was just a matter of putting the rope in place, mechanically attaching the window, and replacing all the interior panels.
Thanks again for the guidance. Not only was it spot on, but saved me some money too!
Indy0465
Carnut likes this.