Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reliability question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2008, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Reliability question

I've been doing searches on-line and from what I gather, the quality of PT has been doing down since 2001, year by year. This is according to JD's initial 90 days.

Reliability Ratings Comparison on Yahoo! Autos

This worries me as I'm looking at an 08. I've not been here long enough, but has there been more complaints from owners as the years go by? Or has the standard changed, so what was acceptable back then is now no longer acceptable today in terms of trouble free?
Old 18 Jan 2008, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Reliability question

The Dependability rating isn't that bad on that survey, it's just the Powertrain they don't like, and it is a weak point. But after saying that, myself and hundreds if not thousands of owners never had a bit of problem with any part of the power train and that's just hearing from those on a lot of the PT forums. Yes, there has been a problem or two but the biggest group that has problems are the ones that are pushing the GT models past the point that Chrysler intended it to be.

There's other things like the fan motor, steering gear, multifunction stalk and Remote Keyless Entry Module that we more about than the powertrain.

Take into consideration the amount of PT sold, it's not a bad little car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Keep in mind the only people that post are the ones that usually has issues... typical to other forums.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 05:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lost the 41TE auto tranny on my '01 PT at 81k. It was properly serviced per the book and was never abused. I hardly think the stock 150 hp on the non turbo was pushing the 41TE to it's limits. While most people won't have a problem there are more than "one or two people" who have lost theirs. Contrary to popular belief most PT owners are not on the forums so the 10-15 auto tranny failures I know of from the forums might be a drop in the bucket or might not be. Seems JD Power has heard of more than a couple failures. On the bright side my wife's '04 PT with the 41TE tranny hasn't, at 92k, had any tranny problems. Off the record my dealer told me it was better to service the 41TE every 30k, alternating between a drain and fill and a total flush. This time so far so good for the '04.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take a look at this thread:
HOW MANY MILES ON YOUR PT????

One thing they haven't changed is the ignition wires - plan on replacing them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jan 2008, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

wife & myself are on our second pt's never really had any issues !!
Old 19 Jan 2008, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Our second PT, our 2002's tranny went out, so we traded. Now we have 36,500 miles and NO mechanical problems. Had to get 4 new tires as they had a problem.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Jan 2008, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Reliability question

Reliabilty is just part of the picture - and can vary between owners and how the vehilce is driven and cared for.
When a vehicle does need repairs, the PT Cruiser is in the top 5 of lowest repair casts!
See this post!
Five of the lowest repair cost vehicles
Old 19 Jan 2008, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptma767

hi again just got my 2005 pt and... went to get a oil change and they said it looks like im leaking oil and trans fluid! car has 40000 miles and still under drive train warrenty would this be coverd? and this is what i was afraid of got the car for $8600 mabey ill get it fixed and unload it asap! its ashame though its a nice litte car that i always liked.and wanted to have for a long time. so much for the dealers presale inspectionthat said no leaks .. makes me wonder what else is wrong
Old 20 Jan 2008, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i dont think that would be covered