PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clock and horn quit working

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2008, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clock and horn quit working

My clock and horn will quit working intermittently. I couldn't find a fuse that listed either one. I find it strange that they would both be on the same circuit. Does anyone have an electrical schematic?
Bob
Old 21 Jan 2008, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clock and horn quit working

what year car ??
Old 21 Jan 2008, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is an '01, non-turbo, automatic, limited edition.
Bob
Old 21 Jan 2008, 11:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

is this happening at the same time or individually? and are you speaking of the clock in the radio?
Old 22 Jan 2008, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

They both quit working at the same time. It is the clock in the radio. They will both start working again mysteriously, and then they will both stop working sometime later.
Bob
Old 22 Jan 2008, 11:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

I cant find anything in common with those systems. two completely different circuits. no common grounds or fuses. have you stepped in any bad voodoo lately or pissed off a gremlin? i guess you could check all the connections under the dash. make sure no wiring looms are rubbing on metal anywhere. make sure the fuses are all in tight in both locations.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 01:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you want to tinker with your PT, I'd suggest getting a shop manual specific to it. Disc version is the cheapest (Ebay). Then you can trace out your wiring. For example: Your radio has a hot feed from BATT (clock), a hot feed from IGN (radio), and a hot feed from LIGHTS as a minumin. If they both go at the same time, I'd look for an intermittent ground. When checking connections, take them apart and put together a few times in case of corrosion. In the under hood Power Distribution Center, Fuse #14 is for horn relay and fuse #18 is for radio. These are powered by circuit BATT AO. This is from an '02 book. Happy Hunting!

Last edited by 2sb; 28 Jan 2008 at 02:17 am.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 11:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

circuit batt a0 controls many different circuits, if that was bad a lot more things would be wrong.

Frink- does your radio cut out or is it just the clock in the radio?
Old 21 Mar 2008, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I recently experienced the same problem. What I realized, is that when I adjusted the tilt wheel, it would come on and off. I found that with the wheel in a position toward the top, it works fine. However when I lower the steering wheel, it will go off. The horn will do the same thing. (on command of course). I'm assuming that the wires that are behind the steering column are crimping at times.*****I will keep it as it is. It sounds way too expensive to fix.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It seems like I have the same problem. To clearify it a little, only the light for the clock in the radio will go off when the horn stops working. The actual radio still works, however you can not tell what station you are listening to. Banging on the horn sometimes causes both to come back on or off. I have had two different repair shops to look at this and they can not fix it. I have not had any good experiences with the dealer ship on other issues and prefer not to take my car to them.