Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing power steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2008, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing power steering

Hi everyone. I have a friend who needs the power steering pump replaced on her '01 N/A PT, being a car guy I thought I could help. I've never worked on PT before though, so I thought I would come on here and talk to you guys before I started.

I did a little research and it seems that this is a pretty common problem, but how big of an undertaking is it? Has anyone on here done it? Does anyone know of a how to or diagram that might be of any help? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Jsternberg; 22 Jan 2008 at 09:29 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 11:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing power steering

its not too awful bad to do yourself. it does take a while though. take off the wheel, take off the shields. take off the belt. youll have to move the ac compressor out of the way (you dont have to disconnect the hoses), take off the grille of the car, unbolt the upper tie bar. pull the radiator and condenser assembly up off of its mounts and pull it as far forward as you can. then disconnect the power steering hoses ( a good crowsfoot set is needed) then unbolt the pump and pull it out through the top betweent he radiator and motor. then just reverse all that to put it all back in. its not bad at all really. i just had to do one not too long ago. took a while to figure out how to get the pump out of the car.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing power steering

Welcome.
Cartman's taken care of you.
Post pics of your friend!
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Replacing power steering

Hi,

My power steering is being a little fussy recently. It seems to work well at higher speeds but at lower speeds the assist is not very much. I was wondering if this is the pump not fuctioning properly or another part causing the difficulty. I see that you needed to replace the part, but did not describe the symptoms. I was hoping for some advice! 2003 PT Cruiser with 40,000 Miles.