Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help Rough Low Idle almost cuts off..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2008, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help Rough Low Idle almost cuts off..

Ok people this is the deal, my sister-in-law 2002 pt cruiser broke its timing belt. I replace the timing belt, water pump, new tensioner, new assy belts, new alt belt, new ign coils, new spark plugs, new plug wires, new thermostat, new PCV valve, new top and bottom engine mounts and flush the radiator. All wiring and hoses are hook up correctly. The engine starts right up with only one problem as it sits and idle it idles low and rough and cuts off unless i hold the gas pedal but when i drive it around it rides great no problem only when I stop or park, thats when it idle rough. I did notice one thing when I disconnect the hose that goes from the pcv valve to the intake thats when it idle good but when i connect it, thats when it runs rough and cuts off. Does anybody know what the problem might be? I'm at my lost ends and very confuse. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 02:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Help Rough Low Idle almost cuts off..

are you sure you got the cam timing exactly right? its kinda tricky to get the cams lined back up dead on, and one tooth makes a difference. if im reading this right though, when you induce a vacuum leak (disconnect the pcv hose) the idle is fine? could be a bad IAC motor. could be engine is getting choked out by lack of idle air, when you induce a vacuum leak, you are giving the engine the air it needs to idle.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

not enough air ??
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As I stated before the car idles fine when i disconnect the hose from the pcv valve, you can even here the air being sucked though the hose, but once you reconnect the hose back onto the pcv valve the car starts to idle rough and even stumbles and cuts off, that is unless i keep my foot on the gas pedal. It might be the IAC. I will try and get a new one and see what happens. does anybody else know what else it might be? Again any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lockupman1,

Don't just go out and buy a new IAC module. Picture shows where it's at. One owner just took it off and cleaned it and said that cured his rough idle. Try that first instead of throwing a part at the problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 12:22 am
Cool Cruiser

thanks crewzin, i forgot to mention that cleaning it might help.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

What was the outcome to fix this problem. I am having the exact same problem after pretty much the same repairs
Old 29 Oct 2008, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser and after receiving a tune up. Once the weather changed to colder temperatures (here in Florida) the car sounds like a junker. It runs loud and a little rough. What could that be? You can also hear the power steering sound or maybe it is something else.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
are you sure you got the cam timing exactly right? its kinda tricky to get the cams lined back up dead on, and one tooth makes a difference. if im reading this right though, when you induce a vacuum leak (disconnect the pcv hose) the idle is fine? could be a bad IAC motor. could be engine is getting choked out by lack of idle air, when you induce a vacuum leak, you are giving the engine the air it needs to idle.
I did my best to get the timing all the way around dead on. If I let a tooth slip on the cam the timing marks where noticably off, but to get the belt and teeth all lined, the timing marks where almost dead on.
Is it possible to get it off a enough to not receive a code from the cam and crank sensors but it would actually cause this kind of problem, as mine is doing the exact same thing. I am going to try and clean the IAC.

My EGR transducer had alot of moisture in it and the rubber plunger was cracked. I really hoped that was going to solve this problem when I replaced it, but no luck - just got rid of the EGR code.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10 Nov 2008, 08:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You got the cam timing off.I work on these fool things for a living and still only get it right the first time about half the time.