Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
issue with wiper blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default issue with wiper blades

I know there have discussions on this in the past, but I need an opinion from the more knowledgable among you.

I just replaced the blades about 4 months ago with RAINX brand. At first they performed fine. After a short time they began "dragging" (incredibly annoying) on the way up but "glide" (quietly the way it should be) on the way down. They should be "gliding" in both directions.

It doesn't matter if the windshield is wet or dry. I checked to make sure I installed them properly and not accidentally backwards. There is only 1 way to attach them so they are installed correctly. Both blades do this.

So do you think it is the wiper blades? If it is, how could that have developed in a short period of time?

Or is there something else I should be concerned about?

Thanks for your input.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: issue with wiper blades

I used to have that problem...I replaced my wipers, front and rear, with the type that has two blades instead of one. It clears the rain better, and I haven't had dragging ever since. I put doubles on both my PT and my wife's.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I use Bosch Blades and have not had a problem.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you may live in a warm/hot state. The blades have taken a "set", not much you can do about that other than get the dual blades.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Jan 2008, 10:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

the rainX brand of wiper blades are gimmicks and are junk. i had the same problem no matter how much i cleaned them. switched to ANCO, saved a buck, no problems. A little tip for extended wiper performance, when you clean your windshield ( should be done often anyways) wipe your blades with a clean paper towel with a little denatured alcohol on it. it gets all the road grime off and makes them work like brand new again.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 05:16 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
the rainX brand of wiper blades are gimmicks and are junk. i had the same problem no matter how much i cleaned them. switched to ANCO, saved a buck, no problems. A little tip for extended wiper performance, when you clean your windshield ( should be done often anyways) wipe your blades with a clean paper towel with a little denatured alcohol on it. it gets all the road grime off and makes them work like brand new again.
Good tip, thanks!
Old 30 Jan 2008, 06:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Sounds like you may live in a warm/hot state. The blades have taken a "set", not much you can do about that other than get the dual blades.
Now that makes sense.

Thanks to everyone for the information you shared. All very good tips and insight. I am going to look for some dual blades.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: issue with wiper blades

I used Rain-X treatment on my Dodge Carvan windshield for years. It would actually help the drag, or hopping of worn blades. But, if you want great wiping and long wear, try "Silblades". They are Teflon coated silicone, and guaranteed for 5 years. They also come in colors!