Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Some brake lights work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2008, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Some brake lights work

Hello all who read this i'm a UTI Student in Arizona and have recently come across a issue with a 2006 PT Cruiser. An admin person in our school presented us with his 06 PT Cruiser with only some brake light bulbs working. Starting with the basics I ruled out fuse, brake switch to discover 3 bulbs burnt out. The bulbs were both lower big bulbs and middle 3rd light bulb. So i figured ok problem solved and put in new bulbs. Well new bulbs did not fix the problem. According to alldata there is a brake module for this vechicle but no clear info on where it is located anyone out there have any ideas or know where it is? Also has anyone heard of this prob before? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

UTI Student
Will
Old 31 Jan 2008, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Some brake lights work

Will,

I was hoping by now one of our members that are very knowledgeable about the PT would have tried to answer your questions. They could still answer up later. I'm just around all of the time and see most of the questions first.

I've tried doing searches and looked at my reference books for your brake light module and can't find a thing. That's not to say there isn't one, but I can only find references to the ABS brake module and the brake switch (the one by your brake pedal).

I've seen problems with bulbs shattering and in that particular case with 3 different owners having the same problem, there wasn't a definite answer as to why the bulbs were actually blowing up.

Reading your post over, when you put in a new bulb in the 3rd brake light (middle bulb), are you saying that particular bulb didn't come on with the outer 3rd brake light bulbs even though you put a new bulb in? So just two bulbs light up and not the middle?

Plus of course you don't have the lower big bulbs (brake lights and running lights when the headlights are on)?

So to picture this: headlights ON, no lights in the back. Foot on the brake pedal, no brake lights and only the two outside bulbs of the 3rd brake light are ON. Is that right?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 08:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

#1 Check for power and ground. No power start at the brake light switch.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin

ok as i just found out tonight the PT Cruiser does not have ABS. So as far as that option goes I really got thrown in the dark. With a new bulb in middle of the 3rd brake it still does not light up athough the 2 outside bulbs do. The 2 outside bulbs light up when brake pedal is pressed. From what i have been told this is a safety feature from chrysler so that if you lose brake lights you do not lose all possibly a chassis ground?

As far as the to bigger bulbs they light up with parking lights on so power seems to be making it to the bulbs. Just no brake lights when the brake pedal is pressed. I called chrysler for a electronic brake control module and was given a price with no option of ABS or Non-ABS so not sure if non-ABS has some kind of brake module.

If the 2 ouside bulbs light up is it safe to assume (and yes know what assume means lol) that the brake light switch is functioning properly?

I have a feeling that there maybe a short to ground somewhere in the system since it seems to being powered. Have been told other than a very few things just about all circuits go through some kind of comp (ECM, BCM, etc).

I really appreciate the assistance on this I can not find anything where anyone has had same exact symptom.

Will
Old 01 Feb 2008, 12:18 am
Cool Cruiser

ok, seeing as both lower brake lights dont work, we can rule out ground due tot he fact that there are seperate grounds for each side ( high mount also uses same ground as the left rear lamps) and the park lamps use the same grounds on their respective sides. as for the module, it looks to be integrated into the power distribution center (PDC) which is the fuse block between the battery and firewall. apparently they now call it the Totally Integrated Power Module.it seems like the whole realy concept was abandoned for the newer PTs.could be an internal failure of the module in the stop lamp control output circuit. (alldata wiring diagram # 8w-51-6) .another option is the brake lamp switch. it should operate the third brake lamp even if the TIPM goes out (that would be your safety backup chrysler provided). if you have no third brake lamp, then youd have no output of the brake lamp switch, and therefore no signal to the TIPM to light up the rear brake lamps. that actually sounds like the root cause of your problem.

Is this a customer car, or simply a car the geniuses (teachers) have 'tinkered' with? They do love to play their games.

UTI Houston graduate!

Last edited by Cartman; 01 Feb 2008 at 12:25 am.
Old 01 Feb 2008, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cartman,

Thanks for joining in. The problem was getting way past my somewhat limited backyard expertise.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Feb 2008, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was hesitant about jumping in, I was hoping that he'd figure it out on his own, he is a student remember. But then i thought back to when i had to go through all that, and had wished for a little help. Diagnostics are a big part of the auto industry whether it be mechanical or collision. UTIstudent, take your time. if you get frusterated, take a breather or ask for a new set of eyes, sometimes the answers are right in front of you.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 05:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

So to picture this: headlights ON, no lights in the back. Foot on the brake pedal, no brake lights and only the two outside bulbs of the 3rd brake light are ON. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

Ok so this just happend to me what is the problem HELP ME DR. !!!!!!
Oh I did check all the fuses unless there is a hidden one !!
I have one of three lights out in the third light and no brake and no running all in the rear . everything up front is working great . Turnsignals are all working fine im realy lost on this one . Would both bulbs go at the same time ?
Thanks guys
Brett
Old 12 Jun 2008, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Brett, Welcome to the Forum!!!

Did you check the bulbs? Sometimes if there is moisture in the tail light both bulbs will blow. As to the upper lamp, yes you could have a blown bulb. That cover just pops off, it used 5 clips to hold it in. Good Luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jun 2008, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Brett, Welcome to the Forum!!!

Did you check the bulbs? Sometimes if there is moisture in the tail light both bulbs will blow. As to the upper lamp, yes you could have a blown bulb. That cover just pops off, it used 5 clips to hold it in. Good Luck!!!

Hooligan ThankYou Thank You Thank You!! I cant belive it but there was moisture in the lens and the bulbs had exploded!! Is this a known factor?
Again thanks !! If you come out to the PIP this Sept Ill be there working the show and helping out everywhere so just come and get me and intro yourself and I'll get ya a t-bone!!
Take care and again thanks
Brett