PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Wipers Stop Working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2008, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wipers Stop Working

My wife's 2006 PT has developed problems with the windshield wipers a few months back. After a few minutes they stop, then, later they start back. This is usually 5-10 minutes between starting/stopping/starting again. One dealer charged about $80 and said that may fix it. (It didn't.) Another is now saying they don't know what the problem is.
This gets very dangerous in heavy rains.
Thanks
Old 01 Feb 2008, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wipers Stop Working

GAPT, Welcome to the forum!!!
Should we assume that the warranty is expired?? If not, another dealer may work. I assume that the fuse was replaced?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Feb 2008, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan,
Yes, the warranty is expired and this is the second dealer. I do not think it would be a fuse since it works a few minutes, then stops, then works again--but very unpredictable.
Thanks
Old 01 Feb 2008, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I tried doing a search on wiper failure but there doesn't seem to be any. Loads of talk about buying a new wiper motor and plenty of places selling them. That might be your fall back if nothing else seems to work. You can't blame this on the multifunction stalk as it's on the other side of the steering wheel. More than likely it's a faulty wire/short circuit/bad connection in or going to the motor itself.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 01 Feb 2008, 09:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

there arent that many things that could be the problem. switch, wiper motor, Integrated Power Module, and yes, the instrument cluster. the wiper washer switch would be my first guess.

the power flow for the wipers goes as follows: Switch runs into the instrument cluster, then into the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), then into the wiper motor.

Check for loose connections or grounds first. A dealer who says "this MAY fix it" is not a dealer you want to deal with. Find a good knowledgable dealer or independant mechanic. This problem should be realatively easy to diagnose.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We picked up the 2006 PT yesterday from the second dealership, and as they had told us, the wipers were not repaired. A second issue was that the remote had stopped unlocking the hatch about 6 months ago. Neither was it repaired--they said it would cost $400 for the part. We opted to continue with the key.
They presented us a bill for more than $80, and I asked, I think, a reasonasble question--"What are we paying for? It still doesn't work." (We already paid one dealer $80 for nothing.)
Good news, the service manager agreed--dropped the charges!
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 04 Jan 2009, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought my car in 06 and my windows decided to roll themselves up and down at their own will, until finally they rolled down and I could not get them back up. I took it to the dealership and they replaced a switch I believe and it has worked fine ever since. Now for the past month, after warranty expired in Sept. 08, the wndshield wipers would not shut off. I took it into a shop and they scoped it and said the windshield wiper switch was out. I purchased a new windshield wiper switch, had my mechanic replace it and the wipers worked for 2 days and then completely stopped. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they said it was the TIPM that needed replacing. So now I am wondering if it was the TIPM all along since it is responsible for all the power stuff. But now since the warranty is out the darn thing is going to cost $825 to replace. Does anyone have any thoughts about this predicament? The technician is going to talk to the SVC Manager on Tuesday because I told him I think Chrysler should pay for it since the car is only 2 years old and there have been potentially TIPM related issues with the car. What would you do?
Old 04 Jan 2009, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have the paperwork that shows that there were problem starting before your warranty ran out and the same kind of problems persist, you have a good chance of having Chrysler on your side.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 04 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Wipers Stop Working

FOR SAFETY SAKE - be sure to treat the windshiels
with Rain-X. That way, if the wipers malfunction, you can still see very well.

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Have now owned 4 PT Cruisers = fickle!.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 03:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

well, we finally got it figured out. It was not the switch, it was not the TIPM, after all the diagnoses, we took it to a new dealership, who charged less by the way, and found a mechanic who was intrigued and hell bent on figuring it out. He discovered after hours or so, that the linkages were crossed? I think from what I gathered is that the wires were crossed and the signals to the switch were confused and fighting each other. When I found this out, I thought to myself that this seems like one of those things that should be checked first? Ya know like, making sure the power to your PC is plugged in before you call the computer tech. But what do I know! I do know that my windsheild wipers work now. I hope this helps someone!