Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Absolutely panic at this point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2008, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Absolute panic at this point

I went back to the dealer (with my mom)...We worked with a new guy who fought saying it gets 27mpg. Then he started showing me cars. I had my choice of Dodge Neons. I heard they were crap so I refused. After that I had 2 other choices. A Ford Focus and a Saturn something. I hated both. Then he said thats all they had on the entire lot. So we went home with the PT. The PT is SERIOUSLY lagging. It doesn't even have to be a hill. My 1986 Reliant was like this..an 86! I guess Im stuck with this thing for the next 3 years. I dont know what I'm going to do. This is not what I pictured when I spent this kind of money on a "DECENT" car.

2005 automatic PT Cruiser in Midnight Blue Pearl

Last edited by bgdcham; 05 Feb 2008 at 10:00 am.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 10:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Absolutely panic at this point

What happened to:

....I have today and tomorrow to decide if I can keep it...???

If you really do have a choice, take it back and REFUSE to keep it!!! If not, and you have anything in writing that states "...it gets 32-34 mpg..." from the dealer, then maybe you can try your local state consumer affairs dept. or something like that. (the epa mpg estimate sticker on every new PT is 20 city 27 Hwy).

Nothing in writing about mpg? Under contract to buy the car? Then you were taken by a used car salesman.... Funny now that you took it back the mpg claims have gone down to 27, which, it could possibly get hwy only. It isn't right, but it happens everyday. We love our PT's but NOT for the mpg. Your car has a 150 hp engine in it, and weighs something like 3500 lbs so it's not a high performance car.

The PT IS a decent car, if it is well-maintained, it will provide the mpg it was designed to by Chrysler, 20 city 27 Hwy. I would suggest you find a local PT Club, go to one of it's get togethers, and ask club members to look it over and see what they say. If it's like the club I belong to, there probably will be someone willing to help you get it running right.

2005 PT's came with a 7 year, 70,000 mile powertrain warrenty. You can go to any Chrysler dealer and see about getting the remainder of this warrenty (you did say it had about 49,000 miles on it) transferred to you. I did that when I bought my 04 GT, it cost me $150. Keep in mind it only covers the "powertrain" meaning major engine or transmission problems.

Good luck with whatever you do, don't hesitate to ask PT questions here, we love to help where we can.

srg
Old 05 Feb 2008, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Im assuming since I went in there last night and left with my PT that I no longer can go back..?? THere was nothing in writing about the gas mileage but the new guy held fast to "27" well even I know that you never get as high as what the car is listed to go.

I will be working on learning Utah's freeway system to up the mileage. When I go in to have the bumper (both front a back) fixed they will look at the car to check on the lagging.

I've learned a lot from this experience. I will never go to a car lot without a man. If at all possible I will always buy brand new from this point on..

As for the warrenty, I bought a 3 yr or 80000 mile bumper to bumper. So Im okay there.

Thank you for suggesting a local PT group. I haven't thought of that. I will check into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
What happened to:

....I have today and tomorrow to decide if I can keep it...???

If you really do have a choice, take it back and REFUSE to keep it!!! If not, and you have anything in writing that states "...it gets 32-34 mpg..." from the dealer, then maybe you can try your local state consumer affairs dept. or something like that. (the epa mpg estimate sticker on every new PT is 20 city 27 Hwy).

Nothing in writing about mpg? Under contract to buy the car? Then you were taken by a used car salesman.... Funny now that you took it back the mpg claims have gone down to 27, which, it could possibly get hwy only. It isn't right, but it happens everyday. We love our PT's but NOT for the mpg. Your car has a 150 hp engine in it, and weighs something like 3500 lbs so it's not a high performance car.

The PT IS a decent car, if it is well-maintained, it will provide the mpg it was designed to by Chrysler, 20 city 27 Hwy. I would suggest you find a local PT Club, go to one of it's get togethers, and ask club members to look it over and see what they say. If it's like the club I belong to, there probably will be someone willing to help you get it running right.

2005 PT's came with a 7 year, 70,000 mile powertrain warrenty. You can go to any Chrysler dealer and see about getting the remainder of this warrenty (you did say it had about 49,000 miles on it) transferred to you. I did that when I bought my 04 GT, it cost me $150. Keep in mind it only covers the "powertrain" meaning major engine or transmission problems.

Good luck with whatever you do, don't hesitate to ask PT questions here, we love to help where we can.

srg

2005 automatic PT Cruiser in Midnight Blue Pearl
Old 05 Feb 2008, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As for the warrenty, I bought a 3 yr or 80000 mile bumper to bumper. So Im okay there.

If it is not a Chrysler Warranty you got taken again. With most warranties that are not Chrysler, you will have to pay the bill and try to collect from the company you have the warranty with. I used to work in the parts/service area of a Chrysler/GM dealership. I would listen to owners cry about "I have a Warranty" and then you show them the part in their warranty where is states, send in your bill and maybe (sic) you'll be reimbursed.

If you need a name for a Chrysler warranty, PM me.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Feb 2008, 02:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
If you need a name for a Chrysler warranty, PM me.
Very nice gesture Hooligan, hopefully she can get this worked out. I'm very fortunate to have a great dealer up here in the Great White North.

Regards
Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 05 Feb 2008, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I also have a great dealer in the SUNNY South.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Feb 2008, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdcham View Post
I've learned a lot from this experience. I will never go to a car lot without a man.
You know it's a shame that it would have to come to that, it sounds like your salesman is a piece of slime. If I lived closer I would offer to help.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 05 Feb 2008, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"a piece of slime" is a milder expression than I would have used.

Old 05 Feb 2008, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptma767

if you signed the purchces order your sunk!! whats wrong with the bumpers?
Old 05 Feb 2008, 08:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you financed the car, some states have 3 days to cancel contract...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles