PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thinking of buying a PT... feedback please :-)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2008, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Thinking of buying a PT... feedback please :-)

Hi all!

I'm in the market for a new car, and found a silver 2005 Touring edition at two separate lots. One is CarMax in Columbus, OH. It is $9,998, 50k miles, and a moonroof. The other is at the Chrysler/Dodge dealer in Urbana, OH. It is $9,500 (although tomorrow the manager may go down a bit more as it's been there for some time), 51k miles, and no moon roof.

More or less I'm wondering feedback. I have read a few threads and people seem to love their PT's. I'm the current owner of a 1998 Plymouth Breeze (it was my first car, bought it my freshman year of college 3 years ago). As I am graduating in May and not have my job lined up, I want to purchase a newer car that is fun, roomy, reliable, and appropriate for a 20-something professional.

I test drove the PT today and really liked it! I love the hatchback; originally I was looking at Ford Focus ZX3s for that very reason, but the PT looks better to me.

So, input?
Old 05 Feb 2008, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thinking of buying a PT... feedback please :-)

It's a great car. Not the best on fuel mileage, but fun, comfortable, versatile and pretty reliable. Get the best price you can and buy it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 07:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

for that price you can get a gt.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, we're all nuts about the PT, so don't go by us!
The reason I like it is that it is so comfortable.
Look around and don't let dealers know you're that interested.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Feb 2008, 11:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Thinking of buying a PT... feedback please :-)

WE/I love the PT for all those reasons, especially fun to drive - but not for the gas mileage. Be adviised there are a lot of cars that get better gas mileage!
Other than that - realize that if you are buying used, you get a "pig in a poke", so to speak. I wouldn't do that without having a close friend mechanic look it over. At 50K, you are looking to be replacing timing belt, water pump, plugs & wires soon, if they weren't already replaced.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 08:13 am
Regular Cruiser

I agree with everyone here, it's comfortable, fun to drive or a blast to drive with a turbo, looks good but thats a matter of opinion to people, pretty good mileage but not the best but it beats the old battlecruisers of yesterday unless you get hit with one, pretty cheap IF you have to repair for todays prices, insurance is very cheap, sunroof is nice but noisy, great on long trips in the front seats. But most of all pick a good color, silver is everywhere and boring, flames are history and if you live in florida be ready to be teased your driving an old farts car. A lot of old people down here drive them...why? because it's very easy to get in and out of and lots of headroom.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Excuse me! "flames are history" and "silver is boring" ??

To quote somebody in their last statement; "a matter of opinion to people".

Isn't "HISTORY" what the PT Cruiser is all about? Didn't the designer go back a bit into the auto HISTORY to take the finer points and bring it up to date into the design of cruiser?

Silver might be "boring" in "your opinion" and you see them everywhere, BECAUSE it's one of the best colors for the cruiser and more people choose it. Classic and nostalgic at the same time.

Also not a bad color to keep clean, stay a little cooler in the hot sun and isn't so bad in fixing scratches and chips. The PS2 color code matches up perfectly no matter how old the car is. Take the word of an over 7 year old silver PT Cruiser owner.

tatonetti,

We all love the little car, but in the end you'll have to make up your own mind to buy it...and what color to choose.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought mine new (2001 limited edition)

150K miles

The only issues I had were ball joints and tie rod ends need to be replaced every 30 or 40K miles and the dash bulbs went out.

Other then that the water pump just started leaking (150K miles).

IMO The PT is a Great little car. If I had to point out a couple of negs it would be that it's not the best car in the snow although Blizzax snow tires improved it greatly. The only other thought is head room is a bit tight for a tall person. When sitting close to a traffic light you'll find yourself ducking down to see the traffic light instead of your roof.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Thinking of buying a PT... feedback please :-)

Floridians shouldn't object to PTs!
After all...Florida is "God's Waiting Room" you know! (Lots of old farts)
Old 06 Feb 2008, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

great cars i am on my second and so is my wife !!