Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Bumper Tape Marks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2008, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink 2002 Bumper Tape Marks

I've waited longer than I should have (!) but now I want Chrysler to pay for my bumpers with tape marks all over them to be replaced, covered or painted. Has anyone had it done by Chrysler? I need amunition to to to corporate to get it done. I already had them replace at their cost, my collapsing dashboard.

I love the car, 78K miles and counting and it looks brand new, except for the bumpers!

Thanks!
Old 08 Feb 2008, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Bumper Tape Marks

I had my 2002 bumpers painted twice under warranty. Of course, that was 3+ years ago. I believe that was rescinded by now tho. If you can find a dealer that will do it, good luck!!!

I had purchased 5 vehicles from my dealer, maybe that helped!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Feb 2008, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2002 Bumper Tape Marks

It's interesting that most all the tape problems are California, Florida and Canada.

Forget the dealer -- go right to the big guns. I did that and forwarded blogs and other newspaper articles about the replacement of my dashboard that was technically not under warranty, and guess what? I got a new one.

I'll let everyone know how I do with my new bumpers!
Old 08 Feb 2008, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Where are you from, you haven't listed it?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Feb 2008, 09:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Nah. Happens in Pennsylvania as well. Mine go away for a week or so if I ArmorAll them.
Old 08 Feb 2008, 09:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

all of the cruisers with the textured bumper will have the tape marks. there used to be a recall on the bumpers because of that. all they will do is reimburse you for bodyshop expenses of having the textured parts painted with bumper coater.

Notes

NUMBER: 23-034-04

GROUP: Body

DATE: September 10, 2004

SUBJECT:
Front Or Rear Fascia Discoloration

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves painting the mold in color (non-painted) area of one or both fascia.

MODELS:

2001 - 2003 (PT) PT Cruiser

NOTE : This bulletin applies to vehicles with mold in color fascia.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may describe a whitening or discoloration on the mold in color (non-painted area) of the front or rear fascia.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the customer describes and the technician verifies the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

NOTE :For distribution or technical information contact SEM at 800-831-1122, Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM Eastern Time or Friday 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Clean all surfaces to be top coated using mild soap and water.

2. Prep with SEM 38338 Scuff & Clean. Apply using a gray scuff pad and scrub thoroughly. Wash to remove all residue in preparation for top coat.

3. Clean all surfaces to be top coated using SEM 3835 Plastic Prep.

4. Mask off adjacent areas to protect them from paint over spray.

5. Apply SEM 3986 Plastic Adhesion Promoter, allow 5 minutes to flash, apply a second full wet coat. Allow 10-15 minutes but no more than 30 minutes flash time before top coating.

6. Top coat using SEM 39273 Bumper Coater.

7. Follow application procedures on the SEM aerosol container.

8. Detail the vehicle to complete the repairs.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

FAILURE CODE:

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.
Old 09 Feb 2008, 12:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: 2002 Bumper Tape Marks

thanks for the info - will be helpful in my "case" -- but repair isn't what I'm after - I want a replacement bumper -- too many incidents of problems with "repair" or paint.

wish me luck!
Old 09 Feb 2008, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck on the replacement bumpers!!! It would be a "real piece of luck" if you got a replacement, now that so many "fixed" with the paint only.

Old 09 Feb 2008, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: 2002 Bumper Tape Marks

I'll keep everyone posted!