PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Extended Warranty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2008, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Extended Warranty

Ok....
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. However, almost 4 years ago when I bought my '03 PT GT (had 26K miles on it), I bit the bullet and bought an extended warranty, mostly in case the turbo crapped out. Since then, about $25.00 of each monthly of the payment was for the extended warranty cost. I figure at this point I've spent $1125.00 on the warranty.

My PT hadn't been to the dealer in a long time....just waiting until there was a real need to go in. It had had all regular maintenance.

The other day, I noticed a "whoosh" sound when letting up on the gas during acceleration. Not good, I thought. I took the PT to the dealer the next day. Asked them to check that out and see where a small tranny leak was coming from. I went on a business trip for 3 days. The day after I dropped the PT off, the service advisor called and said I had the following problems:

Engine mounts shot
Hoses torn off of turbo when the engine shifted
Minor tranny leak
Minor oil leak
Control arms shot
Power steering pressure sensor bad

The advisor asked if I had an extended warranty. Yes! I gave her the info and waited to see what would be covered. The warranty was an "all inclusive" (read most expensive) model. I was hoping that the warranty would cover most of the problems.

I picked the PT up today. Here's the final tally:

Total parts - $879.00
Total labor - $911.00
Grand total - $1761.00

My out of pocket expense was $100.00 for the deductible payment.

Soooo....$1125.00 paid monthly over almost 4 years + $100.00 deductible = $1225.00 I've paid out to date. Compared to $1761.00 I would have had to come up with if I hadn't had the warranty. Savings so far of $536.00.

I guess I've come out ahead with the warranty. The best thing was not having to scrape together that large chunk of change all at once to pay for the repairs. Guess I could have been putting aside $25.00 per month without the warranty and maybe the principle + interest would have covered most of the repairs but I'm not disciplined enough to set aside $25.00 per month! Maybe the extended warranty should be looked at as a kind of "Christmas club" for car repairs!

Thoughts from those who have or don't have extended warranties?
Bill

Last edited by BB; 11 Feb 2008 at 07:11 pm. Reason: not finished
Old 11 Feb 2008, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Extended Warranty

How long was the extended warranty for? Is it going to cover the replacement of the motor mounts? Are you beyond your warranty period?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Feb 2008, 07:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi Hooligan!
Warranty is 5 years or 100K miles.

Yes, it covered the engine mounts!
Bill
Old 11 Feb 2008, 07:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Now that makes me glad I bought an extended warranty when I purchased my PT on Friday. I also got the 5 yr 100,000 miles with $100 deductible. First time I ever bought one for a car.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey Bob... guess what? I'm the technician that worked on you car. Only thing I didn't do was the intake tube. I was sick all last week and when I left on friday that was all that was left to do. I'm always glad to see when people buy the warranties. Makes selling needed repairs MUCH easier!
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I only hope it's that easy to cash in on the now-standard Lifetime Powertrain Warranty when the time comes. As far as I know I only need to get a Chrysler checkup once every five years to maintain the warranty. We shall see.

Personally, I've had bad luck with mechanics either trying to rip me off while not on warranty, or doing rush work while on warranty. I've got a 2000 Mazda I've owned since new and the cruise control only worked until 2002 then died. Even though it was on warranty still in 2003, the two times I actally had time to bring it in, it came back unresolved and I said screw it and never had the time to go back. That's also about the time I started amassing tools and learned to do automotive work on my own, including rebuilding an entire engine block from the ground up. I just hate mechanics. Haven't had a mechanic I've trusted since 1996.

My PT Cruiser is only a month new with under 2,000 miles and already has chatter in the brakes ..... I'm guessing warped or scored rotors from sitting on the lot so long. Even though I'm sure they'd address the issue because it's such a new car, I've said screw it and I'll do it myself at my military base's auto repair facitility. It'll only take me an hour or two, I can put in pads I want, and it'll only cost me $20 to have them machine the rotors on the premesis. If I take it to the dealer, I have to take the time to drop off my car, then probably be without my car for a day if not two ......... just more hassle than it's worth IMO. I've got to go anyways because I'm doing a synthetic oil change and throwing AMSOIL in the gearbox and Booger shifter bushings on anyways.

And if you want something done right........

Last edited by lakersfan1; 11 Feb 2008 at 11:02 pm.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi slartyblarfast!
Are you saying you were the tech that worked on my (Bill's) car? If so, Thanks! It seems to be fine. I picked it up today even though it was finished Friday. I drove it about 15 miles after picking it up and everything seems tight.

Took long enough to get that intake tube!

I hear you about the warranties! Any idea what the ratio is between cars you see with warranties and those without? Just curious.
Thanks again,
Bill

Last edited by BB; 11 Feb 2008 at 08:53 pm. Reason: addition
Old 12 Feb 2008, 08:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Had I known it would take so long I would have just taken the tube off of my Turbo and put it on yours. I've got an 06 under 6000 miles. I would say around 50/50 60/40 somewhere around there. I am a STRONG advocate for buying extended warranties. And if at all possible buy the original manufacturers warranty. All it takes is one repair like you had and the thing pays for itself! One transmission craps out... the warranty has paid for itself!
Sorry your car took so long. I was sick last week and when I came in I found out that the tech who finished up for me also replaced the air filter box because it had some broken tabs on it.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
Had I known it would take so long I would have just taken the tube off of my Turbo and put it on yours.
Folks, this is an example of what a good technician is like!! Willing to take a part off of his personal car to put on a customer's car. You won't find that too many places I suspect.

I appreciate the work and commitment you have for your job. I'm certain that my car got very good care if someone like you was working on it. Thank you for your commitment to a job well done!

I'm definitely sold on extended warranties...when appropriate. Mine on the PT sure made these repairs much less stressful. I decided to get the warranty because of the cost of replacing a turbo. Since I bought a car that already had 26K miles on it, with who knows how good a service history, I thought I'd be safe and try the warranty. So far it's worked out pretty well!
Thanks again!
Bill