Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just Bought a PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just Bought a PT

Hey guys, new to the forums and new to the PT cruiser. Been reading up on the forums about the PT and its definitely the perfect car for me. My first car was a 1979 Camaro, since it has antique tags (and is technically my moms) i wanted a car that would be mine. She tried to explain to me, and now i see on the forums, that PT cruiser is alittle lacking in the gas mileage department, but compaired to the camaro, it seems to be a general improvement.
Love the freedom the PT provides, how smooth of a ride it is, blending the looks of classic car and modern suv. I think it was an intelligent investment for me cant wait to hear from ya'll
Old 12 Feb 2008, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just Bought a PT

Seaspeak, welcome to the Forum!! You'll have questions (we all do/did), ask away, someone with experience will answer them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Feb 2008, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I do have a couple of questions, I bought a 2003 Tour Edition PT with 58,000 miles, it only had one owner and is in exquisite condition, just wondering how prone PTs are for engine troubles around 100,000 miles or so (I drive very casually so i dont put stress on the engine / transmission usually).

Also where i live is alot of country roads, so it will be getting more gas mileage for my gallon than if i were driving in a city. Comparetively speaking, the PT has 24 mpg highway, but on a full tank how long exactly (mileage) will that last you? 200 or so miles?
Old 12 Feb 2008, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2002 NA, 2nd owner at 47000+, the tranny went out, otrer than that no problems.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Congrats! I just got my first PT Cruizer Friday (2006 Touring with 3XX miles on it, brand new but considered used) and I'm definitely head over heels in love. I'm new to the forum too and trying to learn as much as I can. Love all the gallery pics.
I live away from the city and have already put 300 miles on mine, I'm averaging 21 mpg on black top roads and Route highways (2 lanes, one each way). My previous car, an Elantra was averaging 32mpg and the car before, 2 door Civic 38mpg. I'm betting on the interstate I'll get better and also breaking it in some. But I love the car so much the mpg isn't an issue with me.

Enjoy your new car!

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Already loving my PT, not too worried about the gas mileage on account of coming from my older car. 3 days of mild driving and it was already on E, so aslong as the PT isnt like that (which its already proving to be amazing in more ways than one).
Old 12 Feb 2008, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats !! & welcome !!
Old 12 Feb 2008, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the EXACT same car brother. First Car. Got it a week ago. Now all I can think about is how to make it uniquely mine. UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE.

"I WANNA GO FAST."

...or as fast as PT Cruiser's can go on small amounts of cash
Old 14 Feb 2008, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
At 58,000 miles, the Auto transmission should be flushed and refilled with ATF + 4 only. You don't want just a dump and fill, that only changes about half the fluid. Cost is about $200 (not at the dealer).

If you get a "stumble", or "hesitattion", probalbly the ignition wires. Get Crane wires at www.RaceAndStreet.Com and you'll be set. Put in new plugs at the same time - the Champions are okay, gap at 0.040.

Plan to have the timing belt (and water pump) replaced at 100,000 miles - runs around $700.

That's it - change your oil (I love Mobil 1), and keep your tires inflated (sticker on driver's door tells you how many psi).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Feb 2008, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info quicksilver, one quick question, when she sits idle her RPMs tend to spike every 3 minutes or so and decrease very slightly like she's reving herself lightly. Last vehicle i had that did this it was because of the coolant pump flushing too much coolant, wanted to know if anyone knew if this was the same case or something else?