Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Conditioner Out of Whack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2008, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Conditioner Out of Whack

My 2003 PT GT keeps blowing the one of the a/c seals. The mechanic says the pressures on the high and low sides are nearly the same. When the seal is replaced, the unit works well, so I don't know if the pressure problem has always been there. Anyone experience anything similar?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Air Conditioner Out of Whack

sounds like you have a bad orifice tube. the pressures should not be the same on the high and low side, hence why theyre called the high and low sides. which seal is blowing exactly?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The seal is an o-ring in a block located on top of the engine where the lines connect.

If it's a bad orafice tube, how does it go bad? Also, is there a drier in the system that needs to be replaced?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

tubes get clogged or o-rings blow apart or the variable orifices get stuck full open. cheap little parts located in an expensive line.youll have to buy the whole liquid line to replace the orifice tube if that is your problem. as for your drier, unless the system was contaminated with moisture or was open for a long period of time, you should need to replace it. if the system did have moisture in it, then it should be replaced along with about an ounce and a half of refrigerant oil.