Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas mileage question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2008, 08:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Gas mileage question?

So I am noticing already that my "new" 2004 Limited is getting even worse gas mileage than my 2005 Touring. I havent had it long enough to do a real calculation, so I am basing this on the fact that I swear I can see the needle falling! I had the other one long enough to know how much the needle moved in my typical day of driving to work. After 90 miles, the tank is half empty (and I filled it to the very top). It used an 1/8th of a tank to go 15 miles, I swear. My 2005 was no great shakes on gas (never got more than 20 mpg in the city), so I am not thrilled that this one could actually be *worse*!

The differences between the two cars, besides the years they were made is that the 2005 was an NA engine and the 2004 is a turbo lite. I also had a K&N air filter on the 2005. Other than that, I cant think of much that is different. If anything, I am driving this one more cautiously than I did the 2005, as I was just in that terrible accident and I am all hyper alert to danger.

The car appears to be running smoothly and quietly. All the fluids are clean and good. Is the turbo lite that much of a gas sucker?

Edit: Both are/were auto.

Last edited by PurplePTGirl; 13 Feb 2008 at 08:50 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Gas mileage question?

I'm assuming these are both automatics? The automatics on the PT Cruiser are archeic and inefficient. I'd still be pissed if I got less than 20MPG with auto(I've been getting 25-26MPG on my NA stick).

On the turbo, you should be able to get nearly the same milage if you're easy on the gas ...... the heavier the throttle angle, the more you'll go into boost, hence wasting more gas.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 08:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can't judge mpg by 1/8 of a tank. You can't even judge mpg by one tankful. With both of my turbo cars I can get a 5 mpg increase by staying out of boost.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm coming from a 1979 camaro so i'd say my PT is a good improvement lol, if you want to increase gas mileage do what the others said, but also follow the standard tips; Make sure your tires are properly inflated, Make sure your plugs are clean, dont drive like its a racecar (did that in my camaro, eats through gas like candy), try to loosen up on the gas pedal, hard for me to do but once you get the hang of not excessively accelerating you'll notice a change in your gas mileage.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

try to loosen up on the gas pedal, hard for me to do but once you get the hang of not excessively accelerating you'll notice a change in your gas mileage.

Easy to say, Hard to do!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Feb 2008, 02:41 am
Regular Cruiser

I really am not a lead foot--as I said, I was just in a bad accident, so I am actually driving a lot slower and not leaping away from the light nor cutting anyone off Besides, I drove the 2005 and it appears to have gotten better mileage. Same foot, lead or not.

I am definitely not imagining this--I am going to get about 230 miles out of this tank of gas. I usually got 250-260 out of the 2005.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Plugs??? Champion. Wires?? Maggie @ RaceAndStreet.com. That may help your problem. You'll have to check your mileage by dividing miles driven by gallons pumped.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Feb 2008, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePTGirl View Post
So I am noticing already that my "new" 2004 Limited is getting even worse gas mileage than my 2005 Touring. I havent had it long enough to do a real calculation, so I am basing this on the fact that I swear I can see the needle falling! I had the other one long enough to know how much the needle moved in my typical day of driving to work. After 90 miles, the tank is half empty (and I filled it to the very top). It used an 1/8th of a tank to go 15 miles, I swear. My 2005 was no great shakes on gas (never got more than 20 mpg in the city), so I am not thrilled that this one could actually be *worse*!

The differences between the two cars, besides the years they were made is that the 2005 was an NA engine and the 2004 is a turbo lite. I also had a K&N air filter on the 2005. Other than that, I cant think of much that is different. If anything, I am driving this one more cautiously than I did the 2005, as I was just in that terrible accident and I am all hyper alert to danger.

The car appears to be running smoothly and quietly. All the fluids are clean and good. Is the turbo lite that much of a gas sucker?

Edit: Both are/were auto.
A big part of why the gauge seems to be dropping so fast has to do with the driving and fill-up habits of the previous owner. It's called "owner preferences" and is a part of the car's software calibration. If the previous owner preferred to fill up every time the gauge got to 3/4 tank, the computer "learns" this preference and shows a much lower fuel level when it nears 3/4 tank. Take it out for a drive, with a SEALED gas can in the back, and run it out of fuel. For later fill-ups, wait until you've gone down to at least 1/8 tank. This will serve to "recalibrate" to your preferences.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 08:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think you might be onto something! I never put gas in my 2005 until it was gasping for fuel So it was probably showing "higher" on the gauge than this car is.

I was actually wondering if this car had a smaller gas tank! When I last filled the tank, it only took 12 gallons--though the needle was below 1/8th. On my 2005, that level required around 14 gallons to fill it.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds like you've got it! I'm a master prototype tech and have been working for Chrysler for the last 17 years, know these cars pretty well. Happy to help.