PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
two tone paint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2008, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool two tone paint?

Hello all,
Im trying to decide on a 2 tone paint scheme, im thinking a black on the original silver, but i wondering about what this is gonna run me, any ideas?,
I also thought about a complete satin black " murdered out" but i just cant seem to get some info on about what its gonna cost
I know a lot of you have gone threw this process and i was wondering if you could drop me a line,

I'm also tring to locate a set of steel rims, maybe some full moon hubcaps, thank you.
Brando
Old 16 Feb 2008, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: two tone paint?

In Tempe, Maaco could do it for you for $2-300 bucks. There will be a paint line but you could put a pinstripe over it. For cool pinstripe, Space Age auto paint is also in your area, they could sell it to you. This is the cheap way to go, you could spend a lot more money to get fancier, just depends on your budget. What I've said applies to the 2 tone scheme, not the flat black.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The difference between a good paint job and a bad one is preparation. Prep work takes time and energy and cost money. MACCO and Earl Shieb (is he still around?) do a fast light sanding and a masking job that leave a little to the imagination....in other words, you might see some paint on things that weren't meant to be painted.

Most places will give you a free estimate on painting so just check around to see what they want.

As far as your steel wheels. Do you a salvage yard in the area? See if they have a wrecked cruiser that came with steel wheels the size your looking for.

There's a couple places that sell the baby moons, full moons and full flat hubcaps.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 09:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: two tone paint?

I've got two PTs at the moment.
Soonercruiser was all Cool Vanilla, and became the Crimson & Cream of OU fame! I took it to a special body shop. Now, they installed a PTeazer bumperette and grille; and painted all below the belt line Inferno Red Pearlcoat for $1,800 here in OPKCity.
I've seen a few Black & Silver, and they simply look great! Don't go for Satin; that's ricer!
PT Cruiser World

Last edited by soonercruiser; 16 Feb 2008 at 09:59 pm.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 11:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

MAACO can do great work, but you do have to pay for it. if you want to go that route, do the prep work yourself, making sure that the original paint is scuffed allover. dont hardline your paint job at the feature line running around the car. the hardline will eventually start to peel. if anything, base to that line, then clear the whole door, quarterpanel, etc. take the time and do it right, removing the glasses, and tearing down all the panels, this way there arent tape lines around handles that can one day start peeling back. a good bodyshop doing your paint job right will run $3500+, and it will be worth every penny due to the fact that many paint manufacturers (dupont for instance) and most bodyshops have a lifetime warranty on their paint (I know we do). any peeling or general paint failure problems will be covered. paint is something you want to do right the first time, and dont cheap out! paint is under the 'you get what you pay for' category. good luck!
Old 18 Feb 2008, 11:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: two tone paint?

Well said Cartman!