Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
vibration dampner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2008, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default vibration dampner

Hello all, I have run into a small problem. I can not get the dampner off the crankshaft. Has anyone had a problem with this? The manual calls out for a special tool 1026, 3 jaw puller and 6827a, insert. My other question is does this insert do anything other than locate the puller? I do not have this insert, but looking at the picture in the manual, it looks like all the insert does is locate the puller. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: vibration dampner

the insert fits in the crankshaft where the bolt hole is and the puller pushes on the insert as it pulls the pully off. this way there is no damage done to either the pully or the crank shaft
Old 16 Feb 2008, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In place of the spacer, you can use the original bolt that came out of the damper, just leave about 1/4" of the threads showing. Pretty much any 3 jaw puller that will fit will work to remove the dampener. Let us know how it goes!
Old 16 Feb 2008, 04:21 pm
Young Cruiser

If your puller center bolt has a small centrally located protrusion, you may want to drill a small "receiver" dimple in the center of the crankbolt. Use a bit whose point is about the size of the protrusion. I find it reduces the chances of the puller slipping to te side as you crank it down.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Figured it out!!! What I thought was, the crank came through the pulley and was flushed with the bolt. The circle I saw was just the impression of the bolt on the pulley. Once I finally stopped pushing on the pulley and started pushing on the crank, the pulley came right off!!! MAGIC!!! Thanks for all of ya'lls responses.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 09:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Phew. Glad that's over!
Old 12 May 2008, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How about putting the damper back on? The manual says to use a bolt, nut, washer, and thrust bearing. Cant I just use the crank bolt to tighten it back on?
Old 13 May 2008, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I broke 2 3 jaw pullers trying to get the dampner off today. What gives? I was pushing against the crank bolt which was threaded in about halfway. I tapped on it with a hammer a few times too. Wont move at all. Its soaking in PB blaster at the moment, I'll try again tomorrow.